DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Need Your Help Very Urgent

hi all,

Please help us. One of my friend has a windows 2000 system with 240 MB RAM( i know its small ) buts its only for a small institute purpose. He has a database and around fifteen students as users. the win 2k server is connected to around 5 win 2k professional cleints and 10 windows 98 systems. Suddenly the Network is not working. Any network card we install the driver the driver install fine but at the end tells a message sorry the system cannot find the specified file . When we try to uninstall the device it tell " Failed to uninstall The device is needed for windows boot up".
    So if anyone could help us what to do either with the network card problem , or if it is possible to shift the whole database to another system. please tell me the ways by which we can transfer the database to another system which is totally new. Either by exporting or any other methods.
    Oracle 8.1.6 on win 2k platform.
    thanks with regards

Success Consists of Getting Up Just One More Time Than You've Fallen Down
    Be Blessed

When you are installing the network card driver do you have the windows disk? I'm guessing that Windos is looking for the cab files in order to reconfigure the network card.

Thanks for your response
    actually we are using win 2000 advance server so it detects the driveer by itself.
    Can anyone guide on this please
    Success Consists of Getting Up Just One More Time Than You've Fallen Down
    Be Blessed

Questions?

Do you any have another server to run Oracle on? If so, install Oracle (same version if possible) on the new server.

Then you can do one of two things to get your db up and running on the new server.

1) If you have a create db script (always recommended). Create the db and users on the new server. Export the tables, indexes, data from the old Oracle and Import into the new Oracle server.

2) Do you have a cold backup of the old Oracle db? If so recover on the new Server. If you have archives (hopefully) you can recover to a certain point in time.

See
    http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~o...ree/orabur.pdf
    for Backup and Recovery document.

Another point: If your new server is a different OS: use the export/import option.

After getting the new ORacle db up and running, call your server maker (DELL, etc.) for help on fixing the old server.

Good Luck -

[Edited by msouthern on 10-09-2002 at 04:35 PM]
    Michellea
    "Live Life to the Fullest"