DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Database hang when there are DML command

Hello all,
    I am just turning off my Archiver process. But I don't know why the alert log file still show 'all online logs needed archiving'?

The whole database will hang cause some user is doing some DML commands. I believe these problem are related.

Any idea on this ?

How did you turn off the archiving???

you are getting problems due to archiving as you suspected
    In GOD I find everything

Originally posted by ckwan
    Hello all,
    I am just turning off my Archiver process. But I don't know why the alert log file still show 'all online logs needed archiving'?

The whole database will hang cause some user is doing some DML commands. I believe these problem are related.

Any idea on this ?
    When you say you are turning off you archiver process, do you mean that you are taking the database out of archive log mode? The archiver saves uncommited changes and does a log switch. If you are in archive log mode it saves the redo log to one or more destinations. IMHO, if you problem is that the archive process is not keeping up then you can either add more redo logs or recreate the ones you have and make them larger. The answer depends on your database, the volume of DML, the amount of data that you can afford to lose and the frequency of log switches. Try adding more redo logs and if you are getting too many log switches then you may need to increase the size of your redo files.

I am so sorry the database seems is correct archivelog mode. Just I interpret wrongly from the alert file saying Thread 1 cannot allocate new log, sequence .....
    all online logs needed archiving.

My database now is in noarchivelog mode.

I had increase my redo log files to 10M for 4 members
    and also increase the LOG_CHECKPOINT_INTERVAL to 100000
    and LOG_CHECKPOINT_TIMEOUT to 0

My log buffer is 32768 Bytes. DB Block Size 4096

Any one encounter this before ?

Thanks.

IMHO - You might want to increase the log buffer to 131072. Also with 4 - 10M redo log files you proably don't do enough log switches. Look at the frequency of your logswitches. Depending on your database 2-3 log switches an hour during peak usage is fine. There is no absolute numbe of log switches per hour that will work for everydatabase.
    You may want to have 6 redo log files that are 5m each.