DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ORA 8.1.7: Export/Import Utility

Can anyone point me to a good source on Oracle 8.1.7 imp/exp utils? I've tried tahiti.oracle.com, and the exp help=y option is not detailed enough. Is there a book that covers this that I've missed?

Thanks in advance!

-Greg

Hey greg;
    I would try oracles website
    http://technet.oracle.com/docs/produ...ch01.htm#45882

http://technet.oracle.com/docs/produ...76955/ch02.htm

What is it that you are trying to do?

MH
    I remember when this place was cool.

Hi,
    The best of finding any information about Oracle commands see the Oracle Documentation.Also you can read the Oracle Backup and Recovery Handbook.It provides nice information.

Regards,
    Rohit Nirkhe,Oracle/Apps DBA,OCP 8i
    oracle-support@indiatimes.com
    Thanks and Regards
    Rohit S Nirkhe
    rohitsnirkhe@rediffmail.com

Thanks for your replies! This should help me expand the boundaries on these utils.

Mr. Hanky, (I feel almost compelled to include the Panky as well) -- with what little Oracle Admin knowledge I am armed with -- I was trying to export certain specific users from the user$ table to import into a clone db on a different server.

Ultimately, what I'm trying to do is copy an Oracle DB from our Unix production environment to a WinNT environment for show (presentations) purposes only.

My next challenge is to see if I can export/import entire packages -- but according to what I've read on this site, this may not be possible.

So, I continue to swim, gulping for air, the seas of Oracle knowledge...

Thanks again! (And any other info you can provide regarding the true task at hand would be MOST welcome).

Greg

Hey Greg;
    I do import/export all the time (in fact I am in the middle of a production one right now)

I as a rule always use parfiles, they are a lot easier and you will have a record of exactly what you did. In your case you may want to do a FULL export with ROWS=N, this way you will have all of the structures without the data. From there you can selectively import what you want, or import it all. Without the data it will be very small.

Another option is to use the "query" clause in your production export, this way you will not pull all the data. It is usuallly overkill to have that much data in development. Not always mind you.

MH

[Edited by Mr.Hanky on 10-08-2002 at 02:09 PM]
    I remember when this place was cool.

If u planing to export from a unix m/c into a windows m/c...
    u can definitly do it.....

Once u have exported the file in unix...ftp it into your windows m/c using asci or bin type...i am not sure which is the option....i guess its should be asci if ftping into windows m/c and bin if ur ftping it into unix m/c from windows m/c...
    then just import that into ur windows database....

This is what i used to do....

regards
    anandkl
    anandkl

ftp : use bin method

bin..when ur ftping from unix to windows...
    thanks denevge
    anandkl

Originally posted by anandkl
    bin..when ur ftping from unix to windows...
    Its not when ftping from unix to windows - its allways! No matter what OS are you FTPing from and what OS you are FTPing to - you must allways use binary FTP transfer. Export dump is in binary format, so if you are transporting it in ASCII mode you'll damage it
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

re: ftp related stuff

Hey everyone:

Just to clear up any confusion on FTPing, if there is any left:

Any file that is not pure flat text, should be tranferred in BIN mode (binary). This mode copies byte for byte the data in the file without making changes. Thus, a file generated by EXP, an Excel spreadsheet, any executable, etc.

When transferring flat text (C, Java, C++, etc) always use ASC so that character information is properly formatted for different OS types. Esp. end of line stuff. (carriage return vs carriage return + line feed).

And with that, I think we can close this thread. Everyone's ideas were great, I appreciate all the input.

I opened a new thread that addresses other issues I've come to understand, so (as if you have nothing better to do) any of your collective inputs are welcome there as well.

Thanks again,

Greg