DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Weblogic and oracle sessions ...

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for a way to increase the number of concurrent sessions that comes to oracle from the weblogic. I notice on one of our production servers, there are around 300 inactive oracle sessions. But at any one time, there will only be max 20 sessions that would be active. I know that there aren't any parameters on the database that would restrict it.

Instead, I would think that it was some parameter setting on the weblogic server that is putting the breaks. The sad part is that I have no clue on which files and where to look for, on our weblogic server, such that I can increase the concurrent session limits.

Could some one shed some light for me?

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

How about setting profiles on the DB user - check out for idle time and probably disconnect the session from the DB ?
    Vinit

you can write yout own trigger to kill inactive users.If you are using oracle 9i user user dbms_resumable.set_timeout to do the job for you.
    nguyenjl

Decision may be depend from type of jdbc driver on WebLogic: thin or oci
    oci has some control parameters on client site, this i gess no.

second point : ur applications use connections or connection pool?

if connection, then probably no way to solve problem, because i don't know how was coding
    error handling on client site, if application will lost connection.

if connection pool then i will be think about special PROFILE and values for parameters
    CONNECT_TIME or/and IDLE_TIME.
    In this situation connection pool has to reopen connections if u will have more connections,
    then open in present time and oracle has to close not active connections.

Originally posted by vinit
    How about setting profiles on the DB user - check out for idle time and probably disconnect the session from the DB ?
    No way, we doing this. We can not kill the sessions without knowing the business logic...

Samba,
    nothing unusual to worry. 90% of the connection will be inactive when you use any intermediate application server, because of sql*net msg from/to client wait events (it may vary depednign on the amount/size of transaction). So, dont set any profile withoutt the concern of your business ppl.

-nagarjuna

Folks,

First let me thank for all those replied to this thread. But looks like only two have got the idea, of what I'm talking about. When you are using the middle tire application, then I would think that it would be a good choice to hadle things on the middle tier rather than on the database tier, unless and otherwise you are restricted with the resources. The two of those who are close to my question were Shestakov and nagarjuna.

Now let me further debrief my question. As you folks put, the weblogic is using connection pooling. I'm least bothered about the number of inactive sessions. What I'm bothered was the number of active sessions. What puzzles me was that the number of active sessions doesn't seems to go beyond a certain number, even when the application is getting pounded. In my case it was 20. So, I'm wondering whether there are any parameter settings on the weblogic server that controlls the number of concurrent sessions/connections that can be handled against the database?

Once again thanks,

Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

re: Weblogic Connection pooling

Sambavan:

You might try looking into the $WEBLOGIC_HOME/weblogic.properties configuration file. Examine the section: WEBLOGIC JDBC CONNECTION POOL MANAGEMENT

This may or may not help you solve your problem, but it is a start.

Good luck,
    Greg