DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: nls support

hi, I want to configure oracle 8i to use different language other than english. My oracle is running on HP unix server. the database is running presently with US7ASCII char set and on american english with data. Please guide me in setting up the same. Thanks

Hello
    u must be careful while selecting the different database.It should be superset of the database from which u will need to take the data export and import.otherwise u will get garbage while accessing the data.Explain exactly what are trying to do?.
    regards
    akhadar

Originally posted by akhadar
    Hello
    u must be careful while selecting the different database.It should be superset of the database from which u will need to take the data export and import.otherwise u will get garbage while accessing the data.Explain exactly what are trying to do?.
    regards
    akhadar
    See, EXP/IMP is not a must in such situations, although it is almost always needed at least for some tables. Run CSSCAN first and check from the 3 generated files what needs to be altered in the DB and which tables need to be exported and later imported.
    Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com

Originally posted by julian
    Run CSSCAN first and check from the 3 generated files what needs to be altered in the DB and which tables need to be exported and later imported.
    He can't use Character Set Scanner Utility - it's only available in 9i, he is converting 8i database.

In any case, I can't see what could go wrong with simply setting new database character set with ALTER DATABASE. US7ASCII is subset of any other character set, so nothing can be lost.
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

nls support

Hi
    thanks for ur replies. I will state more clearly what i want. All i want is to create a database with any other language say (spanish) .I want to consider two cases. The database created 1) in WIN32 system 2) in unix system. I want to know what are the env(registry) variables i need to set in each of the above two case. Any process for nls i need to start like listener process. Then i need to store data in locale language and retrive it . I hope i sound clear. After this setup i want this locale db to contact to another database in American us7ascii mode. I need to pass and get values between these two databases.
    thanks.