DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle services vs svrmgrl

Hi,

Is starting/stopping Oracle services the same as using svrmgrl to start/stop the databases?

Thanks,

Hi,
    In Windows NT/2000 Oracle software runs as a service.Starting/Stopping Oracle services always not means that you are starting or stopping Oracle database.Starting/Stopping the Oracle database when the service starts/stops is regulated by parameter ORA__AUTOSTART and ORA__SHUTDOWN.

ORA__AUTOSTART=TRUE/FALSE .TRUE means that when your machine starts up Oracle database will automatically open.

ORA__SHUTDOWN=TRUE/FALSE .TRUE means that when you shutdown your machine Oracle database will automatically shutdown.The type of shutdown is regulated by the parameter ORA__SHUTDOWNTYPE.The value of (i) means immediate.

Regards,
    Rohit Nirkhe,Oracle/Apps DBA,OCP 8i
    Thanks and Regards
    Rohit S Nirkhe
    rohitsnirkhe@rediffmail.com

SVRMGRL is not used to stop/start the database.
    Database is started/stopped through services only.

Ajmal Chishti

Originally posted by Prince
    Wrong. You can configure your system whatever you want, but starting an Oracle service on NT by no means implies that database is started at the same time. Service can be started with or without the coresponding instance/database to be started. In any case, you can allways use svrmgrl/SQLPlus to stop/start your database, no matter if it was started along with the service or not.
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Thanks for the info.

What about Listener? Is restarting Listener service the same as using lsnrctl to restart? In my case, when I use lnsrctl start, it stays "waiting" forever, but I was able to start it as a service.

Thanks,

On NT/2000 Starting the listener with lsnrctl or with services is exactly the same thing.
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

This is what you get without the service running.
    Attached Images Attached Images

So the only purpose of having Oracle services is to set whether the instance will start automatically or not?

When I shutdown a DB with SVRMGRL/SQLPLUS, I still see the service in running state. And oracle.exe process is still taking about 30MB of memory. Does this mean the instance is still there and is idle? It's quite confusing.

Thanks,

TO understand this concept, please first understand the difference between a service and the database. WIndows NT service MUST exist in order to start or create a new database. For exmple suppose your database sid is TEST, then OracleServiceTEST MUST have been started before you create or start this database. This service communicates with Windows NT OS on behalf of your database.

In simple words service is a coordinator between database and OS.

Prince please understand basics before you start giving your opinions on this forum.
    Agasimani
    OCP(10g/9i/8i/8)