DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: redo logs & checkpoint

Hybrid View

may be this is silly question sorry for that

i want to know if i have 3 redo log groups each of 1mb and having one member

then what should be the log_checkpoint_interval ?

Depends on version of Oracle and time YOU want it to take to start up from instance failure. Remember - Oracle starts recovering from last checkpoint.

Once you have eliminated all of the impossible,
    whatever remains however improbable,
    must be true.

Originally posted by nancy
    may be this is silly question sorry for that

i want to know if i have 3 redo log groups each of 1mb and having one member

then what should be the log_checkpoint_interval ?
    The default value is generally acceptable.
    Tarry Singh
    I'm a JOLE(JavaOracleLinuxEnthusiast)
    TarryBlogging
    --- Everything was meant to be---

but i got the error checkpoint not complete and i have kept my checkpoint_interval=9m

and this error occurs either by small redo size or frequently occurance of checkpoint

so if i don not want to increase the size of redo due to space problem n wanna to decrease the frequency of checlkpoints what should be the rt value

Now, if you have 1M logs and set your log_checkpoint_interval to 9M, you will only checkpoint at a log switch (which, personally, I prefer). If you are still getting "Checkpoint not complete" messages in your alert.log file, you don't have enough redo. Either add more logs or make them bigger (bigger=my choice).
    Jeff Hunter

Yep. What Jeff suggested is perfect. Either add more redo logs or increase the size of redologs. Increasing the size of redologs is better since frequent log switch results in a wait ( forgot the event ). But, only problem with this method (increasing the redolog size) is space constraint. If you have enough space, you can go on increasing the size.
    -nagarjuna

Angry

1)how much size i should increase is there any method to calculate its size???

2)if i'll keep the size of chkpoint_interval to 8m or 1m will it not solve the problem???????

i have gone through the documentations but yet not clear please advise......

Thanks in advance to u all gurus!!!!