DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DB2 an Oracle killer

Men, I just got my 9i cerification and coming back to work to find my company is planning a wholesale migration to DB2. I knew the management was evaluating options. Just didn't think they would go for the "cheaper database". Now I am mad. I invested so much on Oracle and now I have to get some training in DB2. Probably have to get myself DB2 certified to keep my job. Oracle just charges too much for License and maintenance and prices itself out of the market. Anybody here has any experience with DB2 certification? I am off to collecting certificates. What good is it to put those certs in my resume? Companies will just think I am a jack of all trades and a master of none.
    Saturn
    OCP DBA 8i,9i

Saturn,

I suggest you invest 5-10 years to get a Ph.D part-time. In that way, you can be very flexible: teaching, doing research, stepping into industry, or working for yourself. Although it's a little bit long, but eventually you will live as a man.
    Shelton

Statistician
    Ph.D (ABD) since 1999
    SAS Certified Programmer V6
    Oracle Certified Professional 9i DBA

You're certified. You have experience. What's the problem? Start playing around with DB/2 but polish up the old resume and start pounding the pavement.

Or, you could spend 5-10 years in graduate school and come out a teacher...
    Jeff Hunter

Thumbs down

NOT DB2 AN OrACLE KILLER! ACTUALY ORaC#le is a SELF-KILLER! AND ITS KILLING TO US! ORACLE IS A JUST MONEY MAKING MACHINE!! SUCKING MACHINE!!!

[Edited by Alauddin on 09-24-2002 at 07:37 PM]

Did I mention graduate school? No, I was just letting off steam. You're right, database is database. I should be able to work with DB2 as well. I will also keep an eye open for other Oracle DBA opportunities, just in case I don't make it as DB2 DBA.
    Saturn
    OCP DBA 8i,9i

Salesman agrressiveness.......

So since Larry has taken the reins of sales tactics in his own hands, the sales aggression may have kind of break,and the DB2 is capitalizing on it.

Very often are technical issues considered, what is considered is who can fund my kids college fees

Cheers!!!
    Tarry Singh
    I'm a JOLE(JavaOracleLinuxEnthusiast)
    TarryBlogging
    --- Everything was meant to be---

Re: Salesman agrressiveness.......

Sorry, Just wakin'up I guess..
    So since Larry has taken the reins of sales tactics in his own hands, the sales aggression may have kind of taken a break,and the DB2 is capitalizing on it.

Very rarely are technical issues considered, what is considered is who can fund my kids college fees

Cheers!!!
    Tarry Singh
    I'm a JOLE(JavaOracleLinuxEnthusiast)
    TarryBlogging
    --- Everything was meant to be---

It's hightime ORACLE get his sh*t together....they are just greedy and pricing themselves out of the market....As I prepare for my last exam for OCP 8i...I wonder sometimes,why ORACLE is not giving back to us. How many guys work for ORACLE in this forum? ORACLE needs to invest in employing most of the guru w/o jobs(don't get me wrong), instead they just keep rolling out more certifications. This certification will not change anything at my job.
    OCP 8i DBA
    I'm still learning

Interesting thread.

I've worked with DB2 on mainframe as a developer for a numbers of years (more than I care to think about) before I came to Oracle.

I like the rdbms but, from what I've seen on Oracle pricing, I'm amazed anyone sticks with it.

For 95% of business requirements, I'd be surpised if there is anything in Oracle but not in DB2 or one of the UDB variants and vice versa. The main difference seems to be that some elements of Oracle would be optional components of DB2.

It suits me to learn Oracle but you have to be worried about a product where the vendor is run by a man who doesn't understand the word delegation.

One point about DB2 certs. There are only two exams which can be taken for free if you time it right.

Cheers

Nick

Oracle is in the business to make money, not to worry about oracle dba guru w/o jobs. IBM is aggressively targeting companies with rdbms to displace Oracle. I like Oracle but I think our dba certs have no meanings if there is no demand for oracle dba in the job market.
    Saturn
    OCP DBA 8i,9i