DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Replicating a database across network

Question

Hello all -

can anyone advise me? I've got a database on an E10k domain, with a very high bandwidth link to another (target) domain. I've installed Oracle onto the target domain, with another database (same version), with differing file paths and a different name (to replicate a situation in live).

Can anyone tell me how I can best replicate the contents of the database onto the target in order to minimise downtime and make most effective use of the high bandwidth link? Can you do a 'back to back' RMAN across the link? Any advice welcome.

Many thanks....

Hello,

You can use Oracle replication option.

Take a look at :
    http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/...a76965/toc.htm

Hope this helps

Are you using EMC disk array system?
    Are you planning the replication daily?

If yes, consider BCV (Business Continous Volume) option. This works faster than any other method.
    Or Consider SHARFLEX from Quest.

Is this a one-time job or do you want to do this on a periodic basis?

You can clone databases with RMAN if you are only looking for a snapshot of your data.
    Jeff Hunter

Thanks for the replies - this won't be using EMC, so no snapshots are possible: I guess if we can duplicate using RMAN that would the the most attrractive, but I need to bear in mind that the datafile paths will differ.

Is it possible to use RMAN without an intermediate disk or tape based archive?

Originally posted by tamilselvan
    Or Consider SHARFLEX from Quest.
    Can you point some negative sides of SharePlex?
    Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com

Hello,

What's about using Oralce replication ? (advantages, disadvantages...).

If your database have primary key or you know which column should be primary key , then you can use oracle replication.

I use shareplex. There are over 2000 tables in our database. There is no primary key. Shareplex read log file to replicate data. Oracle user internal trigger to replicate data. Shareplex is very stable. When network is down or one of the database is down, it will queue the data , finally, it will automaticly start replicate when everything back to normal. I only used snapshot for oracle replication,, you have to set refresh time. Shareplex is real time replication. It is easy to setup.

Oracle Replication can be realtime, just use Master - Master and have the sync job run every few seconds. I have already set this up and used it extensively so if you have any questions feel free to ask.