DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: High CPU Usage

Question

Hi,

One of my server is having high cpu usage problem?

Is there any checklist and v$views to check so that I can go through that accordingly and tune this CPU usage bottleneck.

Please help me

Look at long table scans. Without the proper indexes Oracle will do a full table scan. The enterprise tuning tools are good at finding bad sql hitting a db.

Hi,

Thanks, Is there anyother thing to check?

Do a search about statspack. It replaced estat/bstat. Once you run the script to create the perfstat schema, then run a second ecript to schedule the job to take samples. You can have it run at specific intervals like every hour. There is a report that you can run which will tell you what you want to know about the database. High CPU utilization can be cause by many things. Running out of physical memory will cause page faults which will cause the CPU to stay busy. There are numerous other causes for this as well.

how much physical memory does your server have? How much memory is allocated? What is the size of the swap file? How many users does your system have? What is the sort area size in the init file? How many disk sorts are occuring compared with in memory sorts? The list goes on.

Originally posted by alagy
    Hi,

Thanks, Is there anyother thing to check?

Check for the queries that use hash joints... and.. are you using MTS by any chance???
    -nagarjuna