DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Trying to recover db - Help!!

The plan was to copy the database from 1 box to another, by copying all the datafiles over and run the create controlfile command on the new:-

unfortunatly the script that we had set to run from cron had not set all the environments up correctly so it didn't understand the command 'svrmgrl' which means it didn't shut the db down before copying all the files. So we came in this morning with all the files copied over but they were all open when copied.

SO - we went into svrmgrl on the live db and issued: 'alter database backup controlfile to trace resetlogs' and then removed the recover db part and then we copied this over to the other box and ran this in svrmgrl.

Everything seems fine apart from the ..system01.dbf needs media recovery. so we did 'recover database using backup controlfile' it went through all the logs and is now asking for a log we havn't got... so we canceled this and tried 'recover database using backup controlfile until cancel' it says the recovery is complete and when we try 'alter database open resetlogs' it says ..system01.dbf needs media recovery....

HELP - WHAT DO WE DO???!!!

You need to perform an incomplete recovery through your last archived redo log.
    Jeff Hunter

i did this by:-

recover database using backup controlfile until cancel, this seemed fine but when opening with resetlogs it says it needs media recovery!!

do logswitch after recovery .
    try doing this as per ur redo group numbers .
    and then try to open the database .
    siva prakash
    DBA

Sometime you can point Oracle to the redo logs and then it is able to get what it needs.

how can i point it at a log I havn't got..

Looking into this more with error ORA-1194 I think that this is impossible to recover from because 'The reported file was not closed cleanly when it was last opened by the database.' As we copied this file over when it was still open oracle thinks it is out of sinc, hence, asking for more and more recovery - even when doing incomplete recovery.

Anyone had this before or can explain further!!

When you do a recover automatic, Oracle will ask you for files that it can't find. I know that under Oracle 7.3.4 you could type in the path and name of one of the log files. If that isn't he file it wants it will tell you then type in the path and file of a different log. Keep doing this untile you either fix the problem or run out of log files. As I said this might only be a 7.3.4 issue because it seemed that in 7.3.4 Oracle didn't neccesarily look in the redo logs when doing a recovery.

you won't be able to this. the datafile headers are marked as open. Why don't you just copy the datafiles again?
    I'm stmontgo and I approve of this message