DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: TNS protocol adapter error

Hello,

I am trying to create a database with Oracle 816. 9I and 817 also exist on the same box. I need to login to sqlplus to run the create database script, however i get the Oracle Tns protocol adapter error when i login. I am using a windows 2000 server box. I have the listener started and have edited the tnsnames.ora file accordingly. Any help would be appreciated..Thanks

Chucks

SET ORACLE_SID=the desired SID

And then run sqlplus.

I have a similar problem but with one db (8.1.6) and designer9i. Both on direct oracle home. how do I connect via Deisnger Sqlplus to the db without an service name. I can do this with the db sqlplus (on another oracle home)
    leonard905
    leonard905@yahoo.com

Hi ,

I set ORACLE_SID, however i still get the ORA-12560 TNS: protocol adapter error. Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Which sqlplus are you running? The one with the RDBMS, or the version that comes with Developer/Forms 6i/9i? If you are using the one with forms, what is your TNS_ADMIN variable set to? If not set, then your forms is looking in its ORACLE_HOME/network/admin (or Windows version of that path) location for the Net8/Oracle Net config files (tnsnames.ora, sqlnet.ora). And, if you haven't configured or edited those forms files, that is why you get the TNS error - there's no SID for the forms sqlplus to find.

Originally posted by Chucks_k
    I set ORACLE_SID, however i still get the ORA-12560 TNS: protocol adapter error. Any other suggestions? Thanks.
    You typicaly get this error when the NT service for your SID is not started. Run the service first, then try to connect.

If the service does not exist yet, use oradim.exe to create it.

[Edited by jmodic on 09-18-2002 at 01:14 PM]
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?