DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: named pipe or TCP/IP

Hi guys,

I met a system architect a few days ago and we talked about this issue regarding our current project.
    We want to set up a system using 9iAS and 9iDB for a stock trading environment. This is a very mission critical system. We are talking about whether we should use named pipe or TCP/IP for performance. The system should be able to handle about 40 transactions /second so we need to make sure we can avoid all the things that are not needed.

This guy said that named pipe will be much faster than TCP/IP because unlike TCP/IP which still have to use SQLnet to connect to the db,this one doesn't need that.

Well, to be honest with you, I rarely deal with Oracle Network so I guess I could make use some ideas or comments from experts from DBAsupport.

Thanks.
    Oracle freak & about-to-be DB2 freak
    Singapore

Hello,

I am not familiar with Oracle Network but I think that if you have remote connection to you DB, you have to use TCP/IP. Anyone can correct me if I am wrong ?

As far as I know named pipes will give you centralized setup and it will simplify the network administration task related to Oracle database.

This guy said that named pipe will be much faster than TCP/IP because unlike TCP/IP which still have to use SQLnet to connect to the db,this one doesn't need that.
    I don't know how it will improve performance.. If it is faster for making connection to DB, then it might.. I haven't used before..

But make sure one thing.. as per Oracle docs, Oracle names will not be supported in later versions of Oracle.. So why can't you think of directory services?

http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/...ts.htm#1047503

HTH

Sameer

Originally posted by sricky
    Hi guys,

Thanks.
    While named pipes may offer ease in configuration, TCP are faster.You can end up with pipe busy errors on that kind of an oltp set up as compared to tcp/ip which has the backlog queuing thing.

If you want it to run faster you'd want the sqlserver2000. and then try to choose local pipes(for lan where they're faster) OR network pipes(which has it's downsides as compared to tcp/ip).

So basically it's your setup which'll decide what might suit you the best.

Tarry Singh
    I'm a JOLE(JavaOracleLinuxEnthusiast)
    TarryBlogging
    --- Everything was meant to be---

Sorry guys,

After doing some research, I think this guy is talking about how the apps server talk to the db which we think it would be better if we put them in one node so that we can use bequeath protocol which is of course much faster than through remote connection.

He was talking about named pipe which looks like it should be UNIX pipe which is used by bequeath protocol for connection.

Is there any chance for us to use this protocol for remote connection?

Ric
    Oracle freak & about-to-be DB2 freak
    Singapore