DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Freelist Groups? BUFFER_POOL

My developer's table creation scripts have some CREATE TABLE options I've never come across before. He's using some tool to generate scripts and they've added vanilla storage clauses (all identical - initial extent 100K , next extent 100K etc) to every table regardless of use etc.

At the end every table has 3 other clauses:

FREELISTS 1
    FREELIST GROUPS 1
    BUFFER_POOL DEFAULT

what do they mean in this CREATE TABLE context?

do you know what's a freelist? check cocnept guide about them if not

in 8i you can define 3 buffer pools, recycle keep and default, in that create table satement it's saying "put me this table in default pool"

I think the tool will have default storage parameters . which have to be altered while generating the database scripts .
    could i know which tool they are using ? ( ex Rational Rose , Designer/2000, some UML tools )
    siva prakash
    DBA

YEs, I know what the freelist is, but why define this at CREATE TABLE level?

uh freelists is define at segment level

So what does the DEFAULT pool mean? I can see why you'd keep a table in the KEEP pool or RECYCLE pool, so what's DEFAULT - can you set default in the ini.ora to be Keep or Recycle?

I get the feeling this dev tool has created scripts and explicitly stated all the defaults just to look good.

well if you have only one pool then it's called default

many tools generate those kind of scripts, nothing special

Those options in the create table script is just oracle default settings in a single Oracle database environment.
    So if you don't mention these 3 lines in your create table script Oracle will asume that this is the settings for the table.

So, if you know what freelists are, then freelists groups is for OPS/RAC(Parallel server)and because your environment is a single instance the freelists groups=1, the buffer_pool default setting is as mentioned earlier!

/Beppo