DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is someone?

is someone here who passed OCP exam without STS for 8i? if u passed than what made u sure that MAYBE U WILL PASS THE EXAM?

I passed 4 exams without STS

8i: Net Admin
    8i: A & A
    8i: Perf Tun
    8i: SQL/PLSQL

YOu know when you are ready I reckon... practice exams from the books, Sybex and Couchmen.

Mind you, my best two results have been from exams in which I've had the STS.

Cheers,
    OCP 8i, 9i DBA
    Brisbane Australia

I've never used STS for any exam. If you've revised all the work properly you'll pass. If you haven't you'll fail. It's really quite simple:

- Read a section of notes.
    - Within 2 days, preferable the next day, review that section again.
    - Within a week review the section again.

Each review should be quicker than the last. On the third time through the notes you'll end up reciting alot of the text. This technique works because it encourages the knowledge to move from short term to long term memory.

Initially you have to be rigid about your approach because you are in a state of "concious competence". Over time you'll start to automatically review data without referring back to the texts. At this point you are in a state of "unconcious competence" and you'll start to believe you have a photographic memory.

Get into the habit of learning properly and you'll find exams easier and you'll actually remember the information for years rather than weeks.

As far as specific OCP preparation goes, make sure you do any examples against a real server. This will make sure you know your stuff and you've not misunderstood any concepts.

Cheers
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog

Thumbs up

Thanks for the tip!

Then, I would like to ask, if u have failed one of the exam,
    what is the most suitable time to study again? immediately after the failed exam or 2 weeks before the day to retake?

thx

KOBE.

I would suggest you start as soon as you can. Remember, reviews are very quick so you don't have to become a slave to it.

You must ask yourself why you failed:

Lack of knowledge: Assume you know nothing and start revising from the begining and follow the method I suggested.

Unable to apply knowledge: If you feel your knowledge was acceptable but you were unable to cross-reference it or apply it to the questions then only review the material the keep it fresh, but spend your time practicing the examples for real. This ecourages you to remember how the knowledge fits together as part of the DBA job, rather than a string of facts.

Exam technique: If you feel you failed because you were nervous or your exam technique was bad then consider buying STS and sit mock exams. Try to structure them like real exams with the same timescales and restrictions. This extra familiarity will reduce nerves in the real exam. Don't start taking mock exams until you feel you know all the work. The main thing is to be honest with yourself. It's no point blaming exam nerves if the nerves were induced by the fact you did not revise properly etc.

It's like anything in life, you have to put in the effort. It's easy to convince yourself you've tried hard when actually you spent your time staring into space. Over time the process will become normal to you and learning will be easy, sometimes even fun

Cheers

PS. Remember, it's only my opinion!
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog

IMO I would immediately re-study those areas where I scored badly. I would then give myself a break and crack open a few beers until a week or two before the test. From that point re-view all notes from beginning to end.

Not sure if you can do that with 9i exams, I heard they don't give a breakdown so it's harder to work out where you fell down.

I use the STS tests, Couchman and Sybex. Obviously the tests are very good at highlighting where I misunderstood the text or got my experiments wrong but the main advantage is the variety or authors means you are less likely to fall foul of their errors.

Taking A&A next week so let's see if the theory holds.

Cheers

Nick

But don't get addicted to STS.
    You have to invent(if you will) your own strategy.
    Why you need it?
    You got to be able to understand the technology. And beleive me it's far more challenging (and fun) than the certification itself.

I would suggest: Get a box, install oracle, work on it for atleast a few months and then get certified.

All the best.

Tarry

Tarry Singh
    I'm a JOLE(JavaOracleLinuxEnthusiast)
    TarryBlogging
    --- Everything was meant to be---

Originally posted by kobe
    Then, I would like to ask, if u have failed one of the exam,
    what is the most suitable time to study again? immediately after the failed exam or 2 weeks before the day to retake?

thx

KOBE.
    Ummmm, I'd say 30 days at a minimum... why... cause Oracle say's that's why.

Anyway, I'm going to join Nick for a few of those beers, they'd better be COLD Nick...

[Edited by grjohnson on 09-12-2002 at 06:53 PM]
    OCP 8i, 9i DBA
    Brisbane Australia

Mr Johnson

Of course pommy beer is cold *insulted*, never any warmer than 1 degree above body temp !

I guess the study time between exams depends on how badly/well you did on the failed exam.

I always thought the 30 day rule was to make sure you didn't get the same set of questions??