DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Need help

Hi Folks,
    I am new to Oracle Dev2000. I have consultated a few people regarding coding styles and they have diff. versions to it. My concern is ... should we use forms built-ins like create_record, delete_record, etc.(in a database block) more or just create a control-block and use insert and delete statements.
    Being new to Dev2000 makes me a little uncomfortable using the built ins as I feel that It doesnt give me much control. Moreover I need to know all the built_in and which triggers they need to be used in, in order to make full use of this utility.
    I just wanted to know your views on it and how I can get more out of my limited knowledge.
    Also I would really really really appreciate, if someone can email me a form or two which gives me a clearer picture of how things are done at the industry level.
    Thanks a lot in advance.

--Sandeep
    email: sandeep333@yahoo.com

Hi!

Try this link:

http://www.prenhall.com/divisions/bp...ial/index.html

the Developer tutorial starts at Lesson 8.

HTH.

Hi,
    I appreciate your suggestion skid. But I am sure that you will agree that books on Dev2000 are very basic in nature (I have gone through most of the popular ones) and they do not give a fair idea of how things are done at the industry level.
    So if anyone has any more suggestions, ideas, tips and maybe some samples...that would be great.

Thanks.
    --Sandeep,
    email: sandeep333@yahoo.com
    When in doubt ...go to the basics!!

built-in's are built-in for a reason: they simplify your work. If you don't want to use them, then don't. Just be prepared to write more code to do things like form_commit, exit(no_validate), and so on.

In your docs, you should have one called (this is for 6i; who is still using 2000???) Oracle Forms Developer, Form Builder Reference, Volume 1, Part No: A73074-01. In this 748 page document, you can find syntax and examples of built-ins.

When you get tired of writing the same code over and over again in different forms, consider using a built-in.