DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help for Oracle Installation?

Hybrid View

Exclamation

Hi guys,

can anyone help me with the installation for oracle 8i on a solaris box?

I have look through the offical doc from oracle regarding the installation, somehow, i find it to be tiredsome. Lot of steps, i dun really understand.

Somehow, i pick up this doc from this site:
    http://www.bolthole.com/solaris/oracle.html

It simplier the installation for the oracle8i.

Now the problem, i am facing is , after the installation of the oracle,into the opt/oracle/oraHome1

I can view all the files inside. After, i install the oracle8i management and integration. All the files are located inside opt/oracle/oracleHome1

I log into my solaris intel as ( oracle ) user, i key in this command, but nothing come out, what really happen? Pls advise ????

$sqlplus
    $ksh:sqlplus not found

Thanks in advance, if i not mistaken, you have to log in as oracle user, it will show $ instead of #. # is the root account.

I have try other commands like dbassisst , nothing happen.

Pls help!!!
    MCSE,MCDBA,MCSD,CCNA,CCDA,CCSA,CCSE, MCSA, SCSA, OCP

Have you tried running sqlplus from it's source directory :

$ORACLE_HOME/bin?

If this works, it could just be the paths set up for the oracle account.

Nick

Hi ngdh,

the path for my oracle installation is at /opt/oracle/oraHome1?

1) Am i doing the right installation?
    2)Is it a must to run the sqlplus from the oracle_home/bin?

I thought the proper way, as long, log in as a oracle user, key in the commands, it will automatically run the program?

Pls advise, if there's anyone have more feedback on it. Kindly appreciated. Thanks

Hi Daniel,

I'm working on HP-UX so you may have to adapt this information for Solaris.

If the $PATH variable is set to include the directory for sqlplus, then you don't have to run it from it's own location.

I merely suggested this to find out whether the installation had worked properly.

Try entering
    which sqlplus

I suspect the response will be
    no sqlplus in {list of directories}

Then enter
    find / -name sqlplus
    and note down the directory.

You will then need to change the .profile file for the Oracle account and add that directory to the $PATH variable.

If the find command does not list the location you may have a had a problem installing Oracle. I would suggest a re-install.

Regards

Nick

Hi Nick,

thanks for your advice. Like to check with you, are you working in the IT field? Doing DBA jobs ? Or Unix Admin ? or something else?

I will check it out, and let you know, if i encounter any more problems.

Hmm tough question.

Basically both Unix admin and DBA although I don't deal with Unix backups or networking except for tnsnames.ora.

Handle PL/SQL, MF COBOL and DB2.

Kinda end up doing anything the client wants from COBOL to ORACLE to SAS.

It's pretty low level though as the db is small and it's not 24/7.

Snuff 'bout me.

Cheers
    Nick

You're an SCSA and not sure about what the startup shell is for your Oracle owner UNIX account? You wouldn't know anything about "which sqlplus" or "echo $PATH" or following instructions about using OFA so you would know where your Oracle executables are located? Gee, the install guide is very straightforward, so I don't understand why you don't know how to install Oracle better than the people who wrote the install guide. That's how you said things are for you in another thread.

Angry DONT CHEAT LIKE THIS GUY

there u see... if u have CHEATED in your exams, then u end up like this wannabe OCP DBA. I suggest everyone to take a lesson in this guy, and kindly do not CHEAT in the certification exams as this kills..........the quality and image of the certification.

Hey come on guys, i just asking out of good will. Seems to me that some guys are out to say bad remarks.

Yes, i am a SCSA, the shell for my Oracle account is KSH, i have even use the find / -name sqlplus to find , but it turn out it could'nt be found.

The installation guides is difficult, who say is straight forward. You have to check the settings for your unix server, create account for oracle installation, install managment packs, post installation, configuring for the unix accounts and files like lib and others. Frankly speaking, i neve install a oracle DB on unix before, only on windows. That's why, i sending a reply in this forum to ask for help. In the end, ppl will pass silly remarks on me.

Worst, an advisor somemore and Junior member from nowhere. I really dun know what to say.

Right, when ppl saw my title, they think, how could a guy taken up so many certifications. Cheaters. Okie, since that the case, tell me your occupations ?
    We will try to vie any troubleshooting on system or database or network. And we will know, who is cheaters.
    This may sound silly, but that the only way to shutup ppl mouth.

I trying to be nice and ask for help. For one reason, i know the moderator will stop this post, if things getting out of hand. He usually do that. Even, if i am right.

I can go into a debate, and i know that you will lose out. But for what, i am just enquire something that's all.

PPL take note of the next reply or post, for those ppl who pass those remarks. And, you will know, who's wrong.

Thanks!!!

Anyway, ngh, thanks for sharing some of the installation tips. Have a good day ahead.

If in doubt go back to the platform specific installation guide and follow it to the letter. This will include the setup of the correct profile. If you follow these instructions properly you will end up with a fully functional system. If you try to look for a shortcut you may well end up where you are now, with a system that doesn't work properly.

Cheers

Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog