DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Automatic Backup

I have created an online backup script on Sun Solaris. Then I created a crontab from oracle to executed at 00:00 everyday. But it is not executing this job. Whereas the jobs created as root user are executing properly. But jobs created as oracle user are not executing.

I tried to create /.profile for root, to set PATH for oracle directory. But looks like it is not setting this PATH.

My questions are:
    1. How can I make jobs created as oracle user get executed?
    2. How can I update root's PATH in order to add oracle directory, so that I can execute this script as root?

Any suggestions are highly appreciated.
    Agasimani
    OCP(10g/9i/8i/8)

As far as i think you must make a script which should run thru crontab at specific time. You can use the SU command to substitute to root and run the script under his privileges and then again come back to Oracle user.
    You cannot succeed if you fear to face challenges.
    MAS
    BE(CS) , OCP 8/8i.

My dear, I want to execute this script without manual intervention in the night. That's the reason I have created crontab. But due to some reason the system is not executing this crontab job. Any suggestions?
    Agasimani
    OCP(10g/9i/8i/8)

You mustn't forgot to set the complete oracle environment for the oracle user. That means SID, PATH, ORACLE_HOME etc. because cron does not set it up.
    The shortest way is to calll the ~/.profile as the first command in your backup script.

Also try to search this forum as this topic has been discussed many times this year.
    Ales
    The whole difference between a little boy and an adult man is the price of toys