DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle does not restart automatically after rebooting

I had installed oracle 8.1.7 on my Dell Laptop Latitude. I had tried installing oracle during various occassions(since I am a developer for new software we may need a fresh installation) as minimum install, but never I was successfull in starting oracle automatically when the machine is rebooted. If I need to shutdown the machine then while the machine is restarted I need to log in as internal to an idle oracle instance and need to startup the database. this was normal to me until I came across documentum installation that needed Oracle running when the machine comes up during the middle of the installation. I had seen this only in laptops not on desktops. Am I missing something while I install..? I normally do a typical minimum installation. This thought is bugging me for sometime altho that made it urgent only recently.

I assume you are running a Windows environment on the laptop, if so it may be worth checking the following:

1. Check the service for the DB is started automically in the control panel/services

2. Check the value in the registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/ORACLE/HOMEx/ORA_SID_AUTOSTART and make sure it's set to TRUE

Regards
    Jim
    Oracle Certified Professional
    "Build your reputation by helping other people build theirs."

"Sarcasm may be the lowest form of wit but its still funny"

Click HERE to vist my website!