DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Replication

Hi,

I have the following scenerio:
    DB-1 (at Pheonix)- Main DB
    DB-2 (NY)- Data comes from all the other locations and get loaded on intermittently.

I need to replicate the data load that happens on DB-2 to DB-1. At the end of dataload to DB-2, it looks similar to DB-1, but some of the values would have changed.

It's a one way replication.My question is

1) What time of replication is required?

2) Will all the records gets replicated or only the ones that gets changed get replicated.

3) Some records on the DB-2 would be deleted,and I need the same record on the DB-1 to be deleted too. Hope this will be handled by replicator.

4) If in a record is inserted in database -DB-2 and is same as the one in DB-1, will that still get replicated and there by hogging the network bandwidth.

Badrinath

There is always a better way to do the things.

please read
    ques1) as What type of replication is required.?

1. Propagation will happen according to the frequency of your PUSH job.
    2. Any DML that is committed is propogated
    3. Configure multi-master advanced replication - you could replicate between 1024 databases!
    4. same as question two. Whether replication is "hogging the network bandwidth" depends on the transaction level and how fat the pipe is.
    Don't blame me, I'm from Red Sox Nation.

Thanks Gopi,

It's getting stream lined to the MultiMaster replication: Now to clarify

On DB-2 only dataloads will happen (on 3 tables) and this has to be replicated to DB-1.
    DB-1 is the MAIN production database with these 3 tables also.And also, I don't want the data to be replicated from DB-1 to DB-2. Is that possible to have a multimaster but only in one direction.

Badrinath

Multi master in one direction is indeed possible. There are many ways to guarentee that DML on a server does not get replicated back:

1. No "support" is generated for objects in the dB you want silent. Support is the process of building the replication triggers that operate replication.
    2. No PUSH job on the silent side is set up.

Note that both databases are still considered masters.

ALSO, VERY IMPORTANT: know that if you do not propogate changes on one of the sites, your master sites are OUT-OF-SYNC! What does this mean to your business???

"ALSO, VERY IMPORTANT: know that if you do not propogate changes on one of the sites, your master sites are OUT-OF-SYNC! What does this mean to your business??? "

These are Master tables(Inventory) which will be replicated from DB-2 to DB-1.

So having them 'out of sync' is acceptable.

One more question:

What will happen, If you have a table on DB-1 and try to have a snapshot replication enable between DB-1 and DB-2. What ever changes happen on DB-2 be refreshed to DB-1. Can the snapshot replication be enabled....as I already have the tables in the DB-1.