DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: performance problems...

Hello all,

I'm a java developer and have no idea about the database administration. If you can thow some light on this issue it'll be of great help.

I have a table with around 10 million records of data in it. I have an object mapping to this table and I also have some GUI screens which show up some details from the underlying table.
    My application becomes extremely slow when I run it with so much data in the database. so much so that it takes nearly half an hour to bring up the windows with some list boxes populated .

Can you advise me to look at some issues like table space sizes and other issues which affect performance. How "Select" is afftected with the verticle increase of table?

Thanks in advance

most probably is you are full scanning the whole table to bring some tiny results to your GUI?

please advise me what to do....

Please advise me what to do... I do not have any expertise in DBA.

thanks in advance

you have to tune the SQL, it´s developer´s job writing SQL statements so... you dont need any dba expertise to do that!

create proper indexes in your table and see if your query is hitting the index or not. Tune it that way...hope you know about indexing...and how to test the same...
    Sandy
    "Greatest Rewards come only with Greatest Commitments!"

If all else fails start up Oracle Enterprise Manager and use Oracle Expert to give you some advice about tuning. It will pick up commonly used statements and suggest indexes that may help you out.

Remember, automated tuning products are only as good as the people who wrote them and the data sample you give them to work on.

Good luck.
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog

Thanx a lot for your kind suggestions.