DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Invitation to a debate on values. Spend 5 minutes and answer me.

Unhappy

Invitation to a debate on values.
    lose 5 minutes and answer me.

Here in Brazil the value of the hour in dollars for a Senior DBA is of it USES $15,65 (OCP) it was already of it USES $60,00 .
    The labor market here this extremely stopped one. There are hardly vacancies and when a vacancy appears the value, I eat they already saw it is very low. We are going by a tense moment, elections for president, high of the DOLLAR, and the reflex of the crisis of the ARGENTINEAN.
    I find an absurdity the value of the hour, but I have to submit to the market.

I would like to know of the colleagues, what finds on the values practiced here in BRAZIL.
    I don't want to know as you win, but I would like to have an idea of which the value is practiced
    in the market in that you live, I would like to know also in which contry/region you this.
    I don't want to move for oh, I like my contry , I only want to lift the subject.

My philosophy is Live by the Contract, Die by the Contract. When times were good, I didn't see anybody complaining that they were getting paid too much! The market is a cruel beast and ultimately deterimines "value".
    Jeff Hunter

I am a contractor (freelancer) but I have to agree with Jeff. Alot of the greedy people will go back into Accountancy and Law now that IT pay sucks.

Cheers
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog

Peaks and troughs... the market will come back eventually. I've actually have never hit the contract market, although I intend to once I hit UK shores next year.
    OCP 8i, 9i DBA
    Brisbane Australia

Well, I live in Brazil too, but have a slightly different opinion. Crisis is not happening only here, it's happening worldwide. Maybe US or europeans DBA's get a higher salary, but the market is greater there. From what I've been hearing, too, the job offers (and so is the salaries) are decreasing.

Hopefully, not all things follow US dollar value here. An official Oracle training (1 module) costs about R$ 2500,00, which means ~ $800. I think US prices are higher than that.

I agree with grjohnson, and I'm going further. The problem is how is everything now, but how was everything before. The investments were simply irrational.

Anyway, I don't work just for the money, but because I like what I do. Since I have money to live a average comfortable life, nothing else matters. I could even start selling icecream on the beach

Originally posted by adrianomp

Anyway, I don't work just for the money, but because I like what I do. Since I have money to live a average comfortable life, nothing else matters. I could even start selling icecream on the beach

Good call!
    OCP 8i, 9i DBA
    Brisbane Australia

Optimism...Good, it helps in rolling life smoothly.
    Sandy
    "Greatest Rewards come only with Greatest Commitments!"

I think adrianomp is correct. A combination of factors including Y2K and the internet boom lifted IT salaries temporarily. Unfortunately, this encouraged lots of extra people into IT.

With the internet bust and the world-wide recession salaries have gone back to a more normal level. Unfortunately, we still have people coming out of university that started during the internet boom, so the salary situation may get worse before it gets better.

Cheers
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog

Unhappy

I have a vision middle it darkens of the future, the actions of Oracle had Dropped of it USES $60,.. for it USES $9,.. this scares me.
    The hardware market (RISK) it stopped, because of ITANIUM, that theoretically angers to rotate any operating system platform. (Will it BE???).
    As consultant, whole training is us that paid the training, without nor an easiness (I discount) of Oracle. We have to invest more and more and more and more the value of the hour drops..... (MARKET or Pressure)