DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle Tnsnames.ora

Talking

Hello All! God bless!

I'm in serious need of some help understand setting up my VB program that connects to Oracle on a user workstation. I've been battling this for a while and have tried many things, but to no avail.

I've been told that you have to install client on every workstation, and I've been told you don't have to install client just copy over the tnsnames.ora file to the user's workstation. What I'm trying to avoid is installing Oracle Client on hundreds of computers. I've tried copying the tnsnames.ora file over to the user's machine and it still gives me the following error, "Run-time error '3706' Provider cannot be found. It may not be properly installed."

Thanks in advance for the help.

Make your application connects to the oracle server, then you dont need oracle client. I use Java. In java I have to say where the database is, and for this I just put the oracle server computer host as a parameter for connecting. In VB there may be more or less like in Java. Instead of connecting your application to a local service name, connect it to a remote one, use the ip adress or the host.

F.

If u want to use VB connection to Oracle u have to install and configure:
    -- sqlnet client software
    -- odbc drver for oracle

Did u do that?

my suggestion is to hire oracle DBA

am i solving your problam??
    nguyenjl