OCP DBA
DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: OCP DBA

hi all Oracle professionals!

I want to get a Oracle certification, please advise me something independently.

1. should I choose DBA or DBO? DBO is much more easier than DBA, but I don't know in the labour market, employers like DBA or DBO?

2. If I choose DBA, should I choose 8i or 9i? Which one is better? Emloyers still need 8i? Is there a lot of companies upgrade or use 9i or still continue with 7.3 or 8 or 8i?

3. About OCP, do you think it's real powerful and a key to easily find a job or get promotion?

welcome all your suggestions and thanks a lot!

Minh

1. DBA
    2. 8i then 9i upgrade (Personally I think its a better route)
    3. Ha ha... sometimes... I reckon those days are gone for a while. And if that's the reason for doing it, don't bother really, it's a way to improve your knowledge in the Oracle architecture and concepts.

[Edited by grjohnson on 08-21-2002 at 07:23 PM]
    OCP 8i, 9i DBA
    Brisbane Australia

Originally posted by grjohnson
    1. DBA
    2. 8i then 9i upgrade (Personally I think its a better route)
    3. Ha ha... sometimes... nut I reckon that days are gone for a while. And if that's the reason for doing it, don't bother really, it's a way to improve your knowledge in the Oracle architecture and concepts.
    1. agree
    2. agree
    3. HA HA HA HA HA. If you get your OCP for yourself, you will be rewarded a thousand times over. If you get your OCP for a promotion, raise or a new job, you will be disappointed.
    Jeff Hunter
    marist89@yahoo.com
    http://marist89.blogspot.com/
    Get Firefox!
    "I pledge to stop eating sharks fin soup and will not do so under any circumstances."

Jeff,

I have to slightly disagree with you. The OCP is certainly not the "Holy Grail", but feedback from many of OraKnowledge's past eBoot Camp student shows:

1. They did infact receive a promotion or increase in pay immediately after completing their OCP, or at their next review.

2. For those that were unemployed, the number of responses they recieved on resumes submitted increased a noticable amount.

It is certainly not the case that either #1 or #2 happened for all, but I was even surprised by the number of positive results the OCP produced.

Also, the more actual experience you have as an Oracle DBA prior to receiving the OCP, the better.
    Edward Haskins, OCP
    OraKnowledge, Inc.
    www.oraknowledge.com

--"Live" Instructor-led Online Training for Oracle9i, Java and XML--

Hey, don't get me wrong. I know it happens for SOME people. Getting a raise or promotion at the next review may or may not be attributed to receiving the OCP designation. Heck, I got my OCP and moved to another company because I was confident in my abilities. Does this mean I should be counted for a raise, promotion and new job? I would be interested in the actual statistics where the raise/promotion/job offer was directly attributable to the OCP designation. Hey, I may be way off base...

All I'm trying to point out, (which I think I am pretty consistent in my view), is that the OCP is just another certification. If you experience technology you never experienced before, great. If you learned a couple things, even better. If you are expecting somebody to hand you a job just because you have passed 4 (or 5) tests, guess again.
    Jeff Hunter
    marist89@yahoo.com
    http://marist89.blogspot.com/
    Get Firefox!
    "I pledge to stop eating sharks fin soup and will not do so under any circumstances."

Originally posted by marist89
    If you experience technology you never experienced before, great. If you learned a couple things, even better. If you are expecting somebody to hand you a job just because you have passed 4 (or 5) tests, guess again.
    I agree 100% with that thought.

I've also been reading tons of info about certification and its' importance in today's job market. Maybe because certification is my business, I seek these types of articles out. A recent article in Information Week had a strong argument for certification:

http://www.informationweek.com/story/IWK20020703S0002

Here's an interesting quote from the article:

"Technical certifications have evolved from a hiring tool to a screening tool: If you don't have them, you aren't viewed as a serious candidate. Budgets are tight, workloads have increased, and CIOs and other hiring managers are more discriminating about who they hire. Certifications can help them identify potential candidates based on skills."
    Edward Haskins, OCP
    OraKnowledge, Inc.
    www.oraknowledge.com

--"Live" Instructor-led Online Training for Oracle9i, Java and XML--

Originally posted by ehaskins

1. They did infact receive a promotion or increase in pay immediately after completing their OCP, or at their next review.
    I doubt these comments come from todays employment climate... previously yes (like 9 - 18 months ago), but not since.
    OCP 8i, 9i DBA
    Brisbane Australia