DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Resizing Datafiles

Hi all,

I have a Oracle 7 Database where some of the Datafiles are huge in size although the %Free Space for the Tablespace is around 99%.

I am planning to Resize the Datafiles.

Can Some one tell me as to what are the parameters and criteria for calculating the Resizing Limit in the following Query.

ALTER DATABASE DATAFILE 'filename' RESIZE

What I need to know is if there is any way by means of which one can calculate a safe size for Downsizing the datafiles using the values for PCT_USED,FREE SPACE,USED SPACE ETC for each Datafile

Thanks
    Sabitabrata

the space required in the tablespace depends on the growth of objects (segments) in that tablespace. Estimate the size of those objects and resize your datafile accordingly.

Also keep in mind that you can not resize the file beyond the last block used in the datafile.

HTH
    Sanjay

Hi sabita_ban,

You can find out what type and size of segments your dealing with in the tablespace of interest by querying the dba_segments view.

If only indexes you can rebuild them to an other tablespace and empty and coalesce the tablespace you want to shrink.

This will give you a work around for the problem of resizeing beyond the last block used in the datafile.

If there are only tables in the tablespace you have no alternative other than export, drop, coalesce, shrink and import.

Regards,

Tycho

By tycho:
    If there are only tables in the tablespace you have no alternative other than export, drop, coalesce, shrink and import.
    or..
    ALTER TABLE MOVE......

Sanjay

Hmmm.

Is the 'ALTER TABLE MOVE' available in Oracle 7?

Not being fascetious... just not sure!

Hi AJW_ID01,

Sadly enough no table moves in 7 or 8.0 just from 8i upwards.

Tycho