DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: One or more partition?

Cool

hi all,

Operating System: windows 2000 advanced server.
    Oracle: 9.0.1.

does having a one partition hard disk affect Oracle's performance?
    i'm planning to have 2 hard disks in every Database server (for multiplexing), but i want to have one partition in every hard disk, because i don't want to be concerned in case of 2 or more partitions about the primary partition getting full, and having to delete some files.
    one other thing concerning having 2 hard disks in every database server, what is the best method for placing my tablespaces? do i place the data tablespace in one partition and the temp tablespace in the other? (i like this idea), and what about the index and the undo tablespaces?

Thanks in advance.

Personally, I prefer to have full access to the device. If it's a 36G disk, I like to know I have one 36G partition instead of 3 12G partitions.

In I/O intensive applications you may be able to justify sqeaking out a little more performance by partitioning your disks such that the more accessed data is on the inside of the disk and the less accessed data is on the outside of the disk. However, in applications that are not I/O intensive you won't notice a difference.

In a two disk configuration, the most important thing you have to worry about is I/O balance. You want to make sure your disks are spinning in equal proportions. If that means putting TEMP, DATA, and INDX all on one device while UNDO is on the other, then do it. You want to avoid having one disk spin at 100% and the other sitting idle.
    Jeff Hunter

hi Jeff,
    could you please guide me on how to know my disk spinning ratios?

Thanks.

I don't do Windoz, so I can't help you on the OS side.

However, you can look at v$filestat to find generally what files have what activity.
    You can use something like http://home.adelphia.net/~marist89/s...ap_mountio.htm
    Jeff Hunter