DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Overqualified???

Originally posted by TimHall

I can't learn anything new or I'll never get a job

PS. Do I get a prize for starting this weeks biggest thread that's completely irrelevant?? [/B]
    Well Tim, neither will I if i engage in a similar talk on the interview table.
    I do feel bad for you so let's get the background music as well...

Tarry Singh
    I'm a JOLE(JavaOracleLinuxEnthusiast)
    TarryBlogging
    --- Everything was meant to be---

Aaahhh!

The worlds smallest violin playing just for me!
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog

I wouldn't say that's true in the US.
    Pardon my ignorance Jeff, but for all I've heard this holds mainly for the States :-) Probably if we take into account all foreigners working there, you might be right. I would be interested in finding some statistics about that. From all the Oracle co-workers I have had, less than 20% have had a college degree.
    Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com

I'm not sure its practical Julian, May be true if the position is sales manager/grocery store manager or similar. I wish, I have one page of resume but, who cares ?
    My point is that it is very important what you write on this one page. Some skills are superset of other skills. If you include for example advanced PL/SQL programming, I will know that you can use and that you have used SQL Navigater, or Devleloper 2000, SQL*Plus or SQL*Loader. If you include that you have administered OPS/RAC, I will know that you can tune Oracle and that you know enough Unix. I could email you the English version of my CV so you can see what I have in mind.

Employers do not fancy long CVs. You run into the risk of including some meaningless/funny information. You should include only relevant things. If you apply for a senior Oracle DBA position, who cares that you know little Java or Fortran or that you have driver's license?
    Oracle Certified Master

My understanding is that a manager in the US will spend 15 - 30 seconds looking at resumes in the first round.

One page tailored to the position seems like a good strategy.

In Germany, the longer the better. They want to see detail about irrelevant tasks done 10 years ago. A huge waste of everyones time in my opinion.

David Knight
    OCP DBA 8i, 9i, 10g

Julian: I know what you are talking about, I would be glad If I get to the Hiring tech manger with that resume, I still need a detailed resume(a seperate one) to satisfy the HR requirements who is sorting out resumes. HR is not gonna present all the resumes received...

dknight: You are Right! its hard to get your resume directly to techincal manager bypassing HR

75% of the times only Tech Manager knows the value of single page resume.

There is an article in latest issue of 'Software Development' magazine on career build in the down economy. They do say the same: One needs to have single page resume with a seperate detailed resume which focus on acheivements and tech expertise, preferably in Flow chart form than in words.
    Reddy,Sam

My current resume is about 10 pages long. The first page is a summary of my skills. Most employers will probably find this enough. The next 9 pages are details of my previous customers along with references for each company.

I think Julian is correct in some ways. I too have found I get a better response by using the 1 page summary, but the extra crap helps once they've picked you out of the pile. People always want to know a bit about what you did for each company. Obviously, the most important stuff must go at the start before they get bored. I've often thought about adding something stupid to the end to see if they get that far

As for one skill implying others, this is not the case when dealing with agencies. As a DBA/Developer I frequently get asked if I know SQL. Most agency staff are sales people, not technical staff, so it's just a bunch of acronyms to them.

Cheers
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog

Tim,

It is with deep regret that I am forced to renounce your current hero status due to over qualification. I hereby reinstate Jeff as my dbasupport.com hero. Congratulations Jeff!!

MH
    I remember when this place was cool.

Gee, thanks (I think).
    Jeff Hunter

What a thread...
    Oracle Certified Master