DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Overqualified???

Originally posted by julian

Employeers don't care too much about education, they ask for experience. Tim is Ph.D. Many companies are afraid of overeducated people. We don't not have to include our doctoral studies in the CV if we apply for an Oracle position. Most people working with Oracle have nothing more than high school. So, low profile is what I suggest.
    I'm planning to do my MBA(in the near future) from a high profile business school here in holland, maybe i shud hold on and start knocking doors saying i'm a high school drop out...
    Tarry Singh
    I'm a JOLE(JavaOracleLinuxEnthusiast)
    TarryBlogging
    --- Everything was meant to be---

Originally posted by srlhome00
    I came across an article a couple of days ago. It stated a case that someone who was experience on Oracle + development got rejected from a job interview. The reason was - 'YOU DON'T HAVE A DR. DEGREE'. This person was so upset that he was seriously considering to go back to school.

The company who rejected him is a bio-tech company. The people work in there have Doctor degrees. They look for the newcomers to have the same mind set or training as theirs.

This brought a light to my head. I now understand why I have trouble on communicating well with the people I work with now. I am the only person in this department with a master degree. I research my knowledge to take care of the problem, and they look for someone to hold their hands to move mouse. Haa!

Nothing personal but this is a complete crock of ****!

MH
    I remember when this place was cool.

Originally posted by Mr.Hanky

Nothing personal but this is a complete crock of ****!

MH [/B]
    Well said Mr Hanky, I totally agree.

The ability to perform a role well seldom relys on a paper qualification.
    Jim
    Oracle Certified Professional
    "Build your reputation by helping other people build theirs."

"Sarcasm may be the lowest form of wit but its still funny"

Click HERE to vist my website!

I came across an article a couple of days ago. It stated a case that someone who was experience on Oracle + development got rejected from a job interview. The reason was - 'YOU DON'T HAVE A DR. DEGREE'. This person was so upset that he was seriously considering to go back to school.

The company who rejected him is a bio-tech company. The people work in there have Doctor degrees. They look for the newcomers to have the same mind set or training as theirs.

This info came from the article I received from an e-mail. Too bad that I deleted that article already. No proove on my part. Laugh at it, throw it away, or treat it as another news. Do whatever you enjoy. Life is too short to be serious.

"This brought a light to my head. I now understand why I have trouble on communicating well with the people I work with now. I am the only person in this department with a master degree. I research my knowledge to take care of the problem, and they look for someone to hold their hands to move mouse. Haa!"

I was referring to this paragraph.
    You must be a real pleasure to work with.
    MH

Originally posted by julian
    Originally posted by Mr.Hanky
    WOW! Education can really work against you, where the heck is Julian now. This could be a whole new debate about "Degrees" education and lack therof.
    Have a 1 page CV (even less). Don't put there meaningless stuff (like Windows XP or Assembler or Pascal).
    I'm not sure its practical Julian, May be true if the position is sales manager/grocery store manager or similar. I wish, I have one page of resume but, who cares ? Other person (HR)should be capable of noticing your capabilities from that page if not, we never get response for 1 page resume forever until its in hands of someone who can realize the value of 1 page.

To be honest with you, I wish I will have 1 page resume. But, doesn't make sense for HR, to have 1 page resume for a techincal person... There were situations people ask me to rewrite my resume cuz, it doesn't have SQL*Loader,SQL*Plus not mentioned anywhere ( True with Win XP too, if they are using Win XP)

Just it takes 1 page for you to mention the products you worked on if you are working on specific technology for a while....
    Reddy,Sam

Don't be offended by that. My head is clear that I never look down or up on people who have or not have paper degree.

It is a widely known situation on this company that many people work in this department have the problem on peforming their jobs to the satisfactory level. Such as one of the senior DBAs claims to have OCP7,8,and 8i asked the user what they wanted her to do next b/c the listener was up but users cann't connect to a "NEW" database.

BTW, I am very pleasant to work with. I never tell or indicate how incompetent my co-workers unless my manager request my input. And, I work very well with developers. That is the reason that my manager receive a lot of compilment about me from all the teams I work with.

srlhome00: I'm a pain in the arse to work with. I weigh 400lbs, have cronic body odour and halitosis. In addition I have a god complex and fart all the time. I constantly belittle my co-workers and shout at my bosses. Perhaps I was overqualified??

[Edited by TimHall on 08-15-2002 at 10:19 AM]
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog

Originally posted by TimHall
    Perhaps I shouldn't have punched the guy during the interview
    Huh! Tim

Now you are telling the truth...
    BTW, how did the interview go...was it smooth or at some point they start testing your patience...that happens too...saying its my right to ask candidate, any stupid question...Long ago someone asked me howmany bits,bytes apecific COBOL datatype occupies, was it in packed mode or unpacked mode.
    (Me too have heard, Ph.ds are discouraged for positions, Infact couple of years ago my manager rejected one Ph.d on No Knowledge of Oracle basis than his degree, seems all he knows was how to normalize tables and what is RDBMS and he don't know what is PK ? Later he mailed a book by CJ Date to my Manager. Real Weirdo !!)
    Reddy,Sam

Originally posted by srlhome00

BTW, I am very pleasant to work with. I never tell or indicate how incompetent my co-workers unless my manager request my input.
    God I hope this guy is joking, he has to be right? Please tell me this is all a bad joke!

MH