DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Overqualified???

: Proper jUSTICE dear tycho.

[Edited by Alauddin on 08-14-2002 at 04:53 PM]

I can almost see the Company's point though. If you are going into a position, even at 3 months (they may say 3 months now, but really want someone much longer term), they may feel that having you do mundane work will eventually make you an unhappy employee/contractor...that you will undoubtably leave them. It makes more sense for them to find someone who is skilled enough to handle the position, but who is also not overly skilled that they will become bored too soon. See what I'm saying? It will cost them too much in the long run to have to replace you when you decide to find a more challenging assignment.
    Edward Haskins, OCP
    OraKnowledge, Inc.
    www.oraknowledge.com

--"Live" Instructor-led Online Training for Oracle9i, Java and XML--

Maybe you should not mention OCP 7.3 and 8 on your resume... sounds like COBOL and NT3.1 ...

Regards,
    ALT69

Originally posted by marist89
    You're either too expensive, or the "lead" DBA felt you knew more then he did.
    I agree with Jeff. It's probably the other DBA keeping his/her job secure. They prorbably feel you know to much and they're worried you'd find issues with their system. Which is pathetic really, they should be trying to learn form you. I'm the only DBA on site here, I reckon it'd be great to be able to bounce ideas off another DBA.

Originally posted by ehaskins
    I can almost see the Company's point though. If you are going into a position, even at 3 months (they may say 3 months now, but really want someone much longer term
    But, it's a three month contract... surely it'd have to be benenficial for the company to have somebody hit the floor running, even if it's for only three months.
    OCP 8i, 9i DBA
    Brisbane Australia

sorry to hear that

i am jobless too..they are just shopping around. Many companies out there is not willing to hire. I dont think they reject you cuz you are overqualified. I think they did find someone cheaper or maybe through insider connection. I was a contractor for this company for 6 months then later they gave me an offer(just a word of mouth) after negociation i accept it later that day they called me up to tell me that they need to discuss more with their superiors then one week later they hired DBA who is happened to be friend of CEO' girlfriend.
    Anyone here work for TRW??
    nguyenjl

one more

I went to an interview with the bank.The director told me that he needs more 'EYES AND EARS' than technical...what does he mean??..
    nguyenjl

Re: one more

Originally posted by orafup
    'EYES AND EARS' than technical...what does he mean??..
    Sounds like they need somebody who can "LEARN", rather than somebody who can already "DO". Cheaper that way.
    OCP 8i, 9i DBA
    Brisbane Australia

Originally posted by Mr.Hanky
    WOW! Education can really work against you, where the heck is Julian now. This could be a whole new debate about "Degrees" education and lack therof.
    I have had several times Tim's problem. The first time I was really frustrated. Then I understood what Jeff said to Tim: there is always someone who notices that you know more than him and they "close the door". Or it can the the salary you ask for.

Nowadays I rather keep the low profile for people are usually intimidated by mister-know-alls. You don't have to say (for example): I know perfectly RMAN. It is enough to say: I have used RMAN. Have a 1 page CV (even less). Don't put there meaningless stuff (like Windows XP or Assembler or Pascal). In fact I would not put anything extra and irrevalent to the position I apply for.

Employeers don't care too much about education, they ask for experience. Tim is Ph.D. Many companies are afraid of overeducated people. We don't not have to include our doctoral studies in the CV if we apply for an Oracle position. Most people working with Oracle have nothing more than high school. So, low profile is what I suggest.
    Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com

[QUOTE]Originally posted by julian
    Most people working with Oracle have nothing more than high school.
    I wouldn't say that's true in the US.
    Jeff Hunter

I came across an article a couple of days ago. It stated a case that someone who was experience on Oracle + development got rejected from a job interview. The reason was - 'YOU DON'T HAVE A DR. DEGREE'. This person was so upset that he was seriously considering to go back to school.

The company who rejected him is a bio-tech company. The people work in there have Doctor degrees. They look for the newcomers to have the same mind set or training as theirs.

This brought a light to my head. I now understand why I have trouble on communicating well with the people I work with now. I am the only person in this department with a master degree. I research my knowledge to take care of the problem, and they look for someone to hold their hands to move mouse. Haa!