DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: When is SQLNET.ORA read?

When exactly is the SQLNET.ORA file read? For example, if I set the SQLNET_EXPIRE_TIME = 5, does the DB check for Dead Connections every 5 minutes from that time on? Or is it by session in that every session that connects after it is set to 5 will be checked every 5 minutes?

The reason I ask is that we run our App on Citrix Servers. The Citrix Servers are bounced every night, but we consistently have sessions hanging around even after the machince has been rebooted. My understanding of DCD is that it trys to ping the machine, and if no response is received, then it will kill the session. But since the Citrix Servers are "Up" most of the day, it does no good to check for DCD during the day. What I'm thinking about doing is at the beginning of the reboot cycle (11 pm), setting it to 5 minutes so that each machine should be "pinged" for DCD while it is down so sessions can be cleaned up. But then after the reboots are over, set DCD back to 20 minutes or so.

Any other ideas?

Thanks for any help!
    Jodie

Originally posted by jodie
    When exactly is the SQLNET.ORA file read? For example, if I set the SQLNET_EXPIRE_TIME = 5, does the DB check for Dead Connections every 5 minutes from that time on? Or is it by session in that every session that connects after it is set to 5 will be checked every 5 minutes?
    Everytime a session connects to server, as you are setting this parameter at server level. Yes, DB server DCD probs to see is there any dead connection sitting around for every 5 minutes if you set it to 5. I did little reaserach on this and there are little caveats on this parameter setting as it depends on SYSTEM TCP/IP time out parm setting. My Sysadmin says are other issues to set this TCP/IP parm set to a different value than default/ currently set value.

http://www.dbasupport.com/forums/sho...threadid=28119
    Reddy,Sam

Thanks! That gives me some things to look at!

Jodie