DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Rman Question

hi guys,
    let's say i have a database registered in the recovery catalog, and i had my backups of this database's datafiles, controlfiles and archive log files (the database is in archive log mode), but suddenly a media failure occurred and the hard disk is useless.
    now my question is: can i use another machine to re create the database and apply the backups that belong to the old database? (my guess is no, but i just want to make sure).

i say no because the backups are taken from a different database (with a different DBID).

if no is the answer, then what can we do in such a case? when the whole hard disk is crashed (don't tell me about Raid, we can't afford it).

Thanks in advance.

Yes, u can create a new database and recoever from the files that have been backed up. Just look at the commands to set the new database with the same old DBID

Originally posted by soniaarora
    Yes, u can create a new database and recoever from the files that have been backed up. Just look at the commands to set the new database with the same old DBID
    Really?, that's great, but i have the Rman commands infront of me, the only command that has anything to do with the DBID is 'SET', and it says that 'SET' Sets the DBID when restoring a control file, so how exactly can i use it to change the dbid of a database?

i always prefer reading a document, so if you know about any document available, would you please let me know about it?

Thanks sonia, i really appreciate your help.

Hany, I am very bust at this moment. But I will come back with all the details by the end of this day. Sorry abt it

Originally posted by soniaarora
    Hany, I am very bust at this moment. But I will come back with all the details by the end of this day. Sorry abt it
    It's ok sonia, take your time.
    But the question remains open for anyone else who wants to share his info.

Regards.

Ceck these commands

2. SET NEWNAME
    3. SWITCH

You can also DUPLICATE DB using RMAN.

Sanjay

HTH

Performing Recovery After a Total Media Failure
    The following scenario assumes:

You have lost the whole database, all control files, the online redo logs, and recovery catalog.

You are restoring the database to its original location after fixing the media problem.

There are four tape drives.

You are using a recovery catalog.

Before restoring the database, you must:

Restore your initialization parameter file, password file (if you use one), and your recovery catalog from your most recent backup using operating system commands or utilities.

Catalog any archived redo logs, datafile copies, or backup sets that are on disk, but are not registered in the recovery catalog. The archived redo logs up to the log sequence number being restored to must be cataloged in the recovery catalog, or Recovery Manager will not know where to find them. If you resynchronize the recovery catalog frequently, and have an up-to-date copy from which you have restored, you should not have many archived redo logs that need cataloging.

The following scenario restores and recovers the database to the most recently available archived log, which is log 124 in thread 1. The example:

Starts the instance without mounting the database and restricts connections to DBA-only users.

Restores the control file to the locations specified by the initialization parameter parameter CONTROL_FILES.

Mounts the control file.

Catalogs any archived redo logs not in the recovery catalog.

Restores the database files to their original locations. If volume names have changed, use the set newname command before the restore and perform a switch after the restore to update the control file with the new locations for the datafiles.

Recovers the datafiles by either using a combination of incremental backups and redo, or just redo. RMAN stops recovery when it reaches the log sequence number specified.

Opens the database in RESETLOGS mode. Only complete this last step if you are certain that no other archived redo logs can be applied

hi Sonia,
    Thank you very much, would you please point me to the source of this document?

Thanks in advance.