DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do think of this

Unhappy

Hi All Moderators,
    Recenty I visited Asktom.oracle.com site and came accross this link
    http://asktom.oracle.com/pls/ask/f?p...0_P8_DISPLAYID,F4950_P8_CRITERIA:4951966319022,

Here a Person was refering to a article published in the Dbasupport.com
    http://www.dbasupport.com/oracle/ora...2.shtml#commit

Wherein the author has suggested the readers to issue frequent Commits to enhance Performance.

I dont know whether this is the right forum but My sincere request is Please check the contents of the article before publishing specially when advising people about tuning performance.

Best Regards
    Sudip
    There Nothing You cannot Do, The problem is HOW.

The article does contain a number of mistakes but I would like to make some general points in defense of the author:

- This articles is published for free in an attempt to help people.

- Alot of misinformation stems from Oracle through their training material. Tom has often debunked information taken directly from training manuals.

- Even Tom Kyte has to refer to other experts at Oracle to answer some questions.

- Try writing an article for yourself and get an idea for the level of paranoia it produces. As well as possible mistakes you are constantly worried that you may have pitched the article are the wrong level. Sometimes you dumb-down a feature to make life easy but worry that people may believe that's all the feature is capable of.

Sorry for the rant but I feel a certain affinity for the guy. He's doing his best and none of us are perfect.

Cheers
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog

If I write article (which I sometimes do in my Organization) I would atleast take care that the fact which I am providing is correct.
    I am not having any affinity nor am I against the author. All I wanted to state that when providing information to people do take care of the contents.
    It is not an offense to refer other people and produce the correct information rather Not refering to correct sources and producing incorrect infomation(even if it is free).

I know the guy is trying his best, and all the best to him.

No Offence.

Sudip

I have not wanted to mention it but I find many dodgy information in these performance tuning series as well, I have read a couple of series and sometimes I really thought what the heck is he talking about

Tom is right about that article (as he allways is when it comes to Oracle): There is more worng suggestions and tips in that article than the correct and usefull ones. Some of them are so bizarre that they actually are amusing....
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

sudip: I wasn't having a go at you. Sorry if you thought I was.

Cheers
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog

Cool

Tim!
    Everyone has a right of word here.
    By the way I am a regular visitor at http://www.oracle-base.com

Cheers
    Sudip

Pointed criticism, if accurate, often gives the artist an inner sense of relief. The criticism that damages is that which disparages, dismisses, ridicules, or condemns.
    --William Ernest Henley
    VenDe ChukPeen Zuri

Someone who quotes himself as a DBA and posts simple question in forums is a big idiot to me . I donot care what others think

If you happen to visit http://asktom.oracle.com you'll find a true guru's opinion about those articles - the thing has escalated so far that Tom has put a comment on that series right into the main page of his site. Second paragraph from top.

I support his urge to the author of the articles and to the editors of dbasupport.com to withdraw the whole series from this site, as they are full of inaccurate, in most cases even totaly wrong suggestions and tips. To quote Tom Kyte: "Bad information is worse then no information."

[Edited by jmodic on 09-16-2002 at 04:56 PM]
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

not only that series, even that listen software series has many errors for example it states

Archiving Using Hot Backup

Backup archive files to tape
    Backup the datafiles
    Backup the redo logs
    Execute an 'alter system switch logfiles'
    Backup the Password and Control files
    Perform a full database export of the system.

you dont need to backup redo logs, you switch log at the end so archived logs should be backup last so you get a good backup set in the tape

Restoring From a Hot Backup

1. Complete rebuild from a hot backup
    2. Copy the datafiles, archive files, logfiles, control files, and
    3. Password files to the target host.
    4. Start the database

wrong again, you dont restore log files otherwise how can you recover to point of failure?

there may be more!