DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: LMT in Peoplesoft

Hi friends,
    I am an Oracle DBA, trying to learn the Peoplesoft Administration . I wanted to know whether we can use Locally managed tablespaces in Peoplesoft where Oracle is the Database. Oracle version is 8i and above and Peoplesoft is 8.x.
    I was going through the limited documentation I have and I could not get this matter clarified.
    I would appreciate, if someone who is working on Peoplesoft databases clarifies this.
    Also, does someone know where I can find info about cloning and refreshing databases in relation with administration of Peoplesoft?
    Thanks in advance
    Manjunath

Here's one link:

http://www.orafaq.com/faqpsoft.htm

May want to also try this mailling list as well:

http://www.openitx.com/g/PeopleSoft/PEOPLESOFT-L.asp

Some of what you are looking for is in Customer Connection at Peoplesoft - you just to have to persist in your searches. The search they have really sucks - more than Oracle's :-P.

In terms of cloning and refreshing, you can do your export/imports if you want. Just remember to update the psdbowner table with the name of the database in which you have imported the data (ie, update psdbowner set dbname=''. Do this before you start the appserv or you will get an error on the appserv. Also, remember to copy over the sqr's and cobol sources and compile the cobol sources so that your peopletools and appserver directory tree match precisely your production environment.

If you want to do it a little faster (and if your environment allows it) shutdown normal the database, copy/ftp the datafiles over to the other environment, recreate the controlfiles on the new environment using the datafiles you just copied over, update psdbowner, and bring up the appserv. That's it. Sometimes when cloning the database you will get lots of problems with the appserv. Some because of the psdbowner table and some because of the client shared libraries on the server in which case you will need to rerun genclntsh to remake the shared libraries.

One more thing, in all of this if you need to change the security that peoplesoft uses then check on the psoprdefn, psuathsignon, and psoprcls tables - they control peoplesoft security.

HOH

Thanks Ramaral both for the reply and the link.
    I just have one more doubt. Is cloning the term used to have the duplicate of one database to another? Say we have the production data which for some purposes clone to a test environment, through export/import?
    And refreshing is the term used for any new data inserts through import manager?
    Thanks
    Manjunath

Hmmm. I think the use of the terms are dependent to the work environment as I have seen the terms used differently for Peoplesoft.

Cloning - I took to mean recreating a database using either export/import or datafile copying.

Refreshing - either through Peoplesoft Data Mover or through cloning as above.

I think you may need to clarify this with the people making the requests of you. I did because those made the requests had a different idea of the terms amongst each other.