DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: moving backups locations

hi all,
    is there a way to move the backups from their location to another location on another (or the same) disk using Rman in a way that would keep my recovery catalog synchronized?
    i need to be able to move my backups according to my storage availabilty.
    if i moved them using an operating system command, is it sufficient to put them back to their old location when i need to recover? (provided that i wont run a crosschek before putting them back to their old location).

Thanks in advance.

U can switch location of your backups as there would not be any issues of checking while doing recovery.

regards
    anandkl
    anandkl

Originally posted by anandkl
    U can switch location of your backups as there would not be any issues of checking while doing recovery.

regards
    anandkl
    Are you sure anandkl?
    it doesn't seem logic to me, i understand that the recovery catalog has information on my backups locations, so if i changed the locations using operating system commands, how could the recovery catalog know about the new location?

Regards.

anyone has an answer?

Regards.

DONT SPAM

Talking

Hi Hany

is there a way to move the backups from their location to another location on another (or the same) disk using Rman in a way that would keep my recovery catalog synchronized?
    i need to be able to move my backups according to my storage availabilty.
    if i moved them using an operating system command, is it sufficient to put them back to their old location when i need to recover? (provided that i wont run a crosschek before putting them back to their old location).

Yes it will work.You can test that.

regards
    Hrishy

hi hrishy,
    do you mean that i can use operating system commands to move the backups, and put them back to their old location without any problem?

do you know of any Rman command that would move them to a new location, and the recovery catalog would still be synchronized? (i'm using 9.0.1).

Thanks hrishy.