DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: for those seeking OCP

DO NOT GIVE UP, KEEP YOUR HOPES UP HIGH AND KEEP TRYING.

I see a lot of people in here saying OCP is just a paper. Although it might not land you a DBA job right away, but it will help you start a career where you CAN become an ORACLE DBA. It is not just a paper, it helps you become familiar with the technology, so in real world you can learn the real skills. No one had those skills untill they did it on the job.

Are you going to back this statement up with some personal experience?

MH
    I remember when this place was cool.

failures are stepping stones of success!!

If you give up you never succeed...

NOBODY is saying its paper, if you get it right way, understanding the real concept behind each question of OCP and be able to implement the concept on a live database(may be a database on your laptop/desktop, need not be real production/devt/test database) successfully.
    Reddy,Sam

...just don't expect job offers to pour in just because you got your OCP.
    Jeff Hunter

and I wonder how long would Oracle DBA job last

Many people are still skeptic about the OCP degree because it is still a new thing. It has only few years of history and several DBAs have not even heard about it. The worst thing about OCP is, in my opinion, that it is possible to achieve it without any production database experience. I am talking about the DBA degree. The developer's OCP is another story. I don't think many people have passed the 2 Forms exams without even doing anything with Forms. It is simply not possible.
    Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com

Originally posted by pando
    and I wonder how long would Oracle DBA job last
    I get the feeling that the "traditional" DBA job is on the verge of extinction. All database vendors are making their products easier to manage, meaning there is less need for a dedicated person.

The extra features being added to the engines mean that people are encouraged to be a jack-of-all-trades. How many people do you know whose only responsibility is only basic DBA tasks? Increasingly DBAs are becoming general infrastructure staff supporting OS, networking, web servers, design and development. Oracle have also reflected this in Enterprise Manager, incorporating a wider range of general infrastructure management.

DBA jobs have traditionally paid more than development jobs. Over the last few months alot of companies seem to have reversed this trend. The DBA job seems to be loosing respect in the IT industry. I think alot of this has to do with the way a lot of DBAs operate. I'm always being told that I'm the first approachable DBA the company has ever had. I think the policy of secrecy alot of DBAs use has harmed the job.

Rant over

Tim...
    PS. Anyone got a job as a dolphin trainer going. I'm willing to do some basic DBA work and toilet cleaning
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog

Originally posted by baccart
    DO NOT GIVE UP, KEEP YOUR HOPES UP HIGH AND KEEP TRYING.

I see a lot of people in here saying OCP is just a paper. Although it might not land you a DBA job right away, but it will help you start a career where you CAN become an ORACLE DBA. It is not just a paper, it helps you become familiar with the technology, so in real world you can learn the real skills. No one had those skills untill they did it on the job.
    In the darkness there is always hope...
    Once you have eliminated all of the impossible,
    whatever remains however improbable,
    must be true.

Is it now compulsory to have a quotation thread in every posting - Yoda has a lot to answer to

Regards
    Jim
    Oracle Certified Professional
    "Build your reputation by helping other people build theirs."

"Sarcasm may be the lowest form of wit but its still funny"

Click HERE to vist my website!

I would rather be at the bottom of a ladder I wanted to climb than half way up one that I didnt.