DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: A Backup Qestion

A Backup Question

hi all,
    I'm currently preparing the backup plan for my production database, i'm planning to use Rman with a recovery catalog in a seperate machine, now users are using a tailored application, and no one of them will have the privilege of dropping any table, now my question is:
    do i still have to make an export every now and then?

Any recommendations will be appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Do you have to? No. While an export is convenient to have in a pinch, it's certianly not a required part of a backup.

Within the last month, I have taken exports out of my backup methodology. My exports ran from 8-12 hours during the night. They became so overburdening that they started affecting production jobs.

And some $.02 advice: Test and Document your recovery process. If you get called at 03:00 you don't want to have to remember every little step in a recovery. Also, you will be more confident in your recovery process if you run it a couple times a year on a development box.

[Edited by marist89 on 08-03-2002 at 09:00 AM]
    Jeff Hunter

Well thank you Jeff, you're the best, with Julian, pando, Tim, Sam, ............. and the list never ends.

Cheers.

If your export doesn't take long, doesn't intefer with production speed and you have space then you can do it as another layer of backup.
    Life is what is happening today while you were planning tomorrow.