DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: problem of connecting to remote database version 7 using sqlplus from NT workstation

Before installing Oracle 9i Standard Edition on my NT, I was able to access to any version ofremote Oracle databases using sqlplus. After installing the 9i Standard Edition, I was able to connect only to the remote Oracle databases version 8, 8i and 9i, but not 7. Everytime I entered the username/password and the connect string, it shutdown the whole program. Then, I went to DOS and ran sqlplus. I received an error:

Error accessing PRODUCT_USER_PROFILE
    Warning: Product user profile infomration not loaded!
    You may need to run PUPBLD.SQL as SYSTEM

I ran the PUPBLD.SQL script as SYSTEM. It didn't work. I looked up Metalink and said that if you're still having the same problem, you need to drop view PRODUCT_PRIVS and run the PUPBLD.SQL again. I dropped the view and ran the script again. It still didn't work.

Has anyone having this problem before??

9i R2 does not connect to v7 database

I remember reading something from Oracle that stated with 9i Release 2, development has desupported connecting to or from either a 7.3.4 client or server. There is no workaround. This is listed in the sqlplus readme doc.

I have not tried this myself as I just received 9i R2, but have not installed it anywhere. I will need to look into this as well as I still have some old production systems running under 7.3.4. If I need to, I guess I can upgrade them and run them under a 7.3 compatible mode and see if that works ok. If you try this please let us know what the results are.

Eric Hanson

There are 10 types of people in the world:

Those who understand binary and those who don't!

Justadba, I did set the compatible to 7.3.4 but it didn't work. It still shutdown the program. The Oracle
    version that I have in my NT is 9.2.0.1.0. I then went to another database that had version 9.0.1 and it
    allowed me to access to the database version 7. You mentioned something about Oracle 9i Release2. I
    went to readme doc in CDROM and metalink and could not find that it said desupport version 7. I may look in the wrong place. Please tell me where you found it on Metalink. Thanks,

9i "Enhancements"

I forget which thread it was in, I was searching in the network forum and saw it. You can also check the README file in %ORACLE_HOME/sqlplus, I heard that there was something there about it.

I did hear from another guy on this board (Sergey) who stated that his co-worker was able to connect to a v7 database with the 9i client on his laptop. He stated that there is apparently a bug in 9i sqlplus. In your login script you shouldn't have set pause on command. If so it will automatically exit from the application. Sounds like this is your problem as well. Hope this works for you. I am planning on finally installing 9i on one of my servers next week and getting started with it. (That's if I can keep the developers off my back)
    Eric Hanson

There are 10 types of people in the world:

Those who understand binary and those who don't!

Smile

Hi Justadba,
    I checked out the README doc at the location that you mentioned %ORACLE_HOME%/sqlplus.
    I found it. The info was not in the "Support" or "Desupport Notices" section. It was under "General Issues and Workaround". You're right. The information showed:

2.3 Connecting to Oracle7 from SQL*Plus 9.2

Connections to an Oracle7 database from SQL*Plus 9.2 are not supported.