DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle 8.0.6 creating a new database

Question

Hello pals,

I have Oracle 8.0.6 enterprise edition (for Windows NT) installed on my pc, I tried to create a new database using Database Configuration Assistant. I tried to create a custom database and I selected the defaults for everything and when I click on finish finally after a minute and 2% of creation I get a message saying 'TNS - unable to connect to destination'. I have created databases before and I've never had this problem. What is the reason for this problem and what should I do to solve it?

Any comments/suggestions?

Thanks in Advance,
    -Shyami

Go into your tnsnames.ora and listener.ora files and manually add the SID info before trying to use DBCA. Try pinging your PC from another PC. Try tnsping from another PC that has Oracle installed on it to tnsping the listener on your PC. If ping and tnsping work okay, you know the problem is not related to connectivity. More than likely, it is definition of the SID in the TNS-related configuration files.

Hi Stecal,

Tried doing what you said. Ping and Tnsping worked fine so messed around with the .ora files but I still get the same error. Normally I would assume that the entry will be created in the listener.ora file and tnsnames.ora file. But even creating that in advance did not seem to solve the problem. I tried this in three different pcs and I get the same problem.

Can someone help please?

Thanks,
    -Shyami
    ------------------------------------------
    Shyami.S.Seelan, OCP 8i, 9i DBA
    Dublin, Ireland.
    http://www.geocities.com/shyamiseelan/OCP
    ------------------------------------------

Okay, one other edit to investigate: look at sqlnet.ora file and do one of two things. 1) comment out the names.default_domain line and go into tnsnames.ora where the SID info is. First line of that change to just the SID name.

2) If you don't want to mess with sqlnet.ora file, make sure the SID (first line again) says SID.value_of_name.default_domain.

In your connect string, Oracle stops by sqlnet.ora to pick up the domanin name if it is there. It takes that value and appends it to the SID name and then looks for the SID.domain_name in tnsnames.ora. If it doesn't find a match, you get the error mentioned.