DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: STS Downloads

Hi folks,

Well I've almost given in and am prepared to buy the 8i STS exams. I would prefer to get the actual CDs rather than download.

Soooo, your problem is? I hear you ask.

Well because I have the audacity to live on another continent (UK) download is the only option from STS.

This is a little akward since, due to not having broadband (Don't say a word Greg!), I have the download speed of a damp piece of string.

The point is I could use knowing the size of the downloads for IZ0-023/025 and 026. Has anyone downloaded this using a standard 56K modem and how long did it actually take them?
    I know the theory but it would depend on the STS download site and ISP connection speeds.

Alternatively, does anyone know if STS have a bricks and mortar outlet either here or in the US.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks people

Have a good day

Nick.

56K, bwoo harr harr harr, why not get your OCP in Oracle 6 as well, get out of the stone age man!

To answer your question, I purchased the 8i upgrade exam and the .EXE is 758KB, you should have it downloaded by the time 10i hits the streets. Honestly, I am not sure how long it would take to download 758KB on a modem, probably an hour or so.

MH
    I remember when this place was cool.

Ah thanks Mr. Hanky,

I knew someone out there would be sympathetic to my plight of lousy telcos and a wife who monitors the joint account!

758K sound pretty small. I thought they were closer to 15MB.

If the latter is right, it would be a race between the download competing and my retirement party!

Any other experiences, especially a bricks and mortar option.

Cheers

Nick "Spare a quid for cable broadband Guv" Hobbs

Can you download it from your company? Hopefully your company is not using dial up modem .. . Let's say if you have T1 in your company, you can just download it and burn it into a CD. Not sure if they encryp the Software tho, just a suggestion ..

You can also use GetRight software to continue the download from the point it got disconnected ..

Thanks for the suggestion e-quality.

Unfortunately I work as a consultant on a client site, so they get a bit funny about large downloads or connecting CD burners, zip drives etc.

If they really are less than meg it would be fine, but I have info that B&R at least has 15MB.

I buzzed a mail off to STS to check sizes, I guess I'll have to see what they say.

Cheers

Nick

The files can download in zipped format, and at 56K, it doesn't take but a few minutes.

BR is 677
    PT is 663
    The rest are similar in size.

Cheers stecal, that's what I wanted to hear!

I'll give it a go at the weekend.

Hi Nick,

I am from UK and I use freeserve connection at home. I have downloaded atleast 5 MB of material in two hours thru 56K modem. You can also install the trail version of Download accelerator (DAP) and try to download the STS.

-- Anurag.
    OCP Application Developer
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    "Be not afraid of growing slowly. Be afraid only of standing still."

Nick,

My lips are sealed.....

Also, I think STS are offering a "save 30% on each test" deal..

Also, modem connection, I've got a 56K modem, and if my memory serves me correctly, I can usually download 15 MB in an hour. I also use DAP (Download Accelerator), It's a free download. (Also 700K should take like 3 - 6 minutes MAX).

I think the size of the download from STS depends one the number of exams in the download, if you have a download which includes all exams the size is around 15 MB, normal individual exams size is from .5 MB to 1 MB.

Cheers,

[Edited by grjohnson on 08-01-2002 at 06:56 PM]
    OCP 8i, 9i DBA
    Brisbane Australia

Hi Greg,

Yep you're right.

Just got confirmation from STS.

8MB for the prep engine and then 2MB each for the tests.

That'll be 4 hours then. I've got DAP 5.3 coming down so it'll be interesting to see how whether it finishes before I get up!

Cheers All