DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: General Questions

Hi DBAs,
    1) Space management in LMTs offer two ways Manual and Auto
    Manual--means we want to use free list
    Auto--means use bit map
    Does it mean if we use manual has nothing to do with bitmap but i thought LMTs do their space management by bitmap--am I right--If i am what the reason of having freelist???
    2) Docs says System table space use standard block size--does it mean this table space doesnt use the block size we specify in init.ora--what about the other table spaces what they use not standard or not from init.ora
    3) Is it true that when u put the table space offline you can make transaction in that but not acessing the data from it--if it is how is that happen???

Your help will be appreciated

Standard block size is what you specify in the init.ora file. If you use 8192, then 8192 is what system uses. If you use 9i features (multiple block sizes), you still have the default you specified in init.ora.

Thanks for quick responseStecal do mean we can use different block sizes for different table spaces but not for system???

That is correctamundo.

Can anyone help with the rest of my questions posted earlier...Thanks

1)

Local management of extents automatically tracks adjacent free space,
    eliminating the need to coalesce free extents. The sizes of extents that are
    managed locally can be determined automatically by the system. Alternatively,
    all extents can have the same size in a locally-managed tablespace.

A tablespace that manages its extents locally can have either uniform extent
    sizes or variable extent sizes that are determined automatically by the system.
    When you create the tablespace, the UNIFORM or AUTOALLOCATE (system-managed)
    option specifies the type of allocation.

For system-managed extents, Oracle determines the optimal size of extents, with
    a minimum extent size of 64K. This is the default for permanent tablespaces.

For uniform extents, you can specify an extent size or use the default size,
    which is 1 MB. Temporary tablespaces that manage their extents locally can only
    use this type of allocation.

3).You put the tablespaces offline to carryout some maintenance work. During that time you will not be able to make transactions to the tables contained in those tablespaces. You might want to test this by

alter tablespace users offline normal;
    insert into emp values (..........);(assumption emp is on users tablespace). You will get an error.

Badrinath