DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: true distributed database setup using server and PC's

Question

Hi,

Has anyone attempted setting up a distributed database using a server and a number of PC's ? The reason for doing this would be to harness the power of 10 PC cpus and 4 Unix server cpus. I would like to use the PC cpus because the Oracle licences for Oracle lite are much cheaper than for the Unix box cpus ($100's as opposed to $1000's). I would be interested to know if there are any white papers out there about setting this up and the different scenerios I would come across, for example, how to backup the database/s using this method.

Thanks for any help provided.

Dave.

Sounds like a management nightmare. What happens if one of the users decides to reboot their PC? If the remote databases contained data, your I/O would be limited to a slow PC IDE disk. If the remote databases mounted a server's disk, all the I/O would have to go over the network. I doubt you have Gigabit to the desktop.

Think TCO. Maybe you only need the features of the Standard Edition instead of Enterprise.
    Jeff Hunter

Cheers Jeff...yes, the word nightmare has cropped up many a time. The PC's would be locked away in a secure room, apparently. Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by TCO ?

Dave.

By browned:
    Cheers Jeff...yes, the word nightmare has cropped up many a time. The PC's would be locked away in a secure room, apparently. Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by TCO ?
    Total Cost of Ownership

Sanjay

The technique for setting up a 10/11 machine database is not difficult. It is called a federated database. I have a seven machine federated configuration, but expansion to 11 would be trivial.

The problem you face is that you may run into license and capability problems. The cheaper licensed Oracles have limited capabilities you may need for significant volumes. Also, if Oracle ever audited you, you might find they disagree about what the users are connected to and using, so........
    Joseph R.P. Maloney, CSP,CDP,CCP
    'The answer is 42'