DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Database Administration Jobs

Exclamation

I have a couple of questions regarding DBA jobs

An answer to my questions would be really appreciated.

How'z the job of a DBA ?? Really stressful ? I have Oracle 8i DBA certificatin and looking for a job now. Don't have much experince. Which one would you suggest as my startup job ? DBA or Application Developer.?

Could you pls tell me where I can find useful documentations ?What are the oracle products i've to practice to be a smart DBA?

Thank you for answering my questions.

[Edited by Juby on 07-30-2002 at 05:16 PM]

Hi,

You know the stuff and are on the right track. My suggestion would be to take up some development job which gives you good working knowledge with sql', the entire working environment, different practical concepts.
    On the go, you will come across different problems you try to solve them yourself or work with your DBA's to see how they do it.

There are ton's of documentation available on otn.oracle.com or metalink.oracle.com websites.

About the
    "job of a DBA", It's ones comfort level with tackling the jobs. Initially you find it stress full but it's not so (sometimes depends on the nature of your business).

About the roles of dba, check this forum and you will see on many occasions this topic was discussed

Badrinath

"Could you pls tell me where I can find useful documentations for a DBA ??What are the main roles & responsibilities of a junior DBA??"

And you're certified?

Ok,

The role of the DBA is to have the ball rolling. Primary job is to keep the uptime of the databases as nearly as 100%. You would be required for understanding the nature of the business and set up the backup strategy. Create a backup /plan and be sure that you can recover your databases to the point of time required. This also means you do your regular 'Backup Testing' .

The role of the database administrator starts from installing the software/creation of databases, appling patches if required, co-ordinating with the System administrators for various issues (If you re not a SA yourself), monitoring the environment on the regular basis (creating some scripts, or looking for an existing ones), helping the developers with the effective sql's, planning for enhancements, developing different strategies to keep up with the technology and in the company's interest (egs: going for high availability/replications) etc (if you are a consultant...you will dig into it).

Yes, I am an certified DBA.

The Oracle documentation is available online at http://otn.oracle.com
    and http://tahiti.oracle.com.
    Badrinath

Smile

Hey! Badrinathn..

Stecal was asking Juby not you...as it doesn't make sense to ask these kinda questions being a certified DBA.
    Reddy,Sam

U R correct SAM!!!!

:d

I lose more and more faith every day in the Certification process.
    Jeff Hunter

so much for a paper which says certification

what do we call you guys as (pando,jeff,sam...sambavan)..as
    oh not all- unCERTIFIED- ORACLE MASTERS/EXPERTS/excellent guys ?

uh I am not expert plz
    still learning....