DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Move the database

Thumbs down

We are planning to move the database server from server A to B. I got only one big partition table and couple of small tables. The big table has got 3 billien rows in it. I would like to know which is the best method to do this job.

Thanks
    Chan

What version of oracle you are running ? If its 8i+ and you are moving the database to same platform and patch level, you can use the trrasporatable tablespaces feature of oracle.
    Follow this link for limitations

http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/...paces.htm#5697
    Reddy,Sam

If the new Oracle environment is the same as the old server, you can clone the database over. Of course, the database need be to bring down before you move the datafiles.

Susan

What are the constraints on Database Clone. Do you have any document or example on it.

Thanks

If the two servers are compatible (close OS's, same mount points/pathnames) you could shutdown the database on server a, do a full cold backup of the database and Oracle directories, then do a restore to server b. There are some less clean variations, depending on the differences between the servers, operational windows, etc.
    Joseph R.P. Maloney, CSP,CDP,CCP
    'The answer is 42'