DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Upgrade Question

I will be upgrading 12 databases on our development box next weekend. If things work out this will be followed by the production box.

Because of the time factor, I will install the 8.1.7 to a new ORACLE_HOME and upgrade the databases over the weeks after so that there will be both 8.1.6 and 8.1.7 databases on the same box.

My question are:

1. During the install of 8.1.7 do I install a new listerner
    2. Can I have two net8 configuration on the box.
    3. After I have upgrade all of the databases, can the 8.1.6 software be de-installed
    4. Which ORACLE_HOME takes precedent
    5. I will use the Oracle Database Migration Assistant. If anyone has used this, how long will it take to migrate say a 10g database.
    6. Can anyone body suggest any thing I have missed out or should watch out for

I have read all the oracle8i migration doc. and the 8.1.7 install doc. but wish to hear from those who have done it for real

Thanks in advance

Originally posted by itwizzkid

1. During the install of 8.1.7 do I install a new listerner
    2. Can I have two net8 configuration on the box.
    I would run one listener and let it listen for both $OH's. You should use the latest; 8.1.7 in your case.

3. After I have upgrade all of the databases, can the 8.1.6 software be de-installed
    yup.

4. Which ORACLE_HOME takes precedent

neither. You ORACLE_HOME is your ORACLE_HOME.

5. I will use the Oracle Database Migration Assistant. If anyone has used this, how long will it take to migrate say a 10g database.

Depends. On a decent box, probably about 20 mintues.

6. Can anyone body suggest any thing I have missed out or should watch out for
    Looks like you got it pretty well covered. I like to take a cold backup before I migrate the db. That way, if something dies in the middle of the migration you can restore your 8.1.6 and re-migrate from the beginning.
    Jeff Hunter