DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Interview Preparation

I am going to have a job interview next week. This is a DBA+Developer job. The employer expect somebody to have good experience on PL/SQL development. I have 3 years of Oracle DBA experience. Most of my PL/SQL experience is strictly for data processing. It's not used to directly deal with the application. (The application is developed by java with some SQL statements "embeded".) So, I could not imagine how PL/SQL can be involved into the "application development."

Please help me clarify this question even if you feel I am very naive. Could somebody give some kind of examples? Thank you!

I have written shell scripts with PL/SQL so I know that works. Maybe they are making PL/SQL calls from a webserver via some java script. I think writting Oracle Apps functionality code requires java and PL/SQL cartriage. Dont be so negative. Take it as a challange for yourself. Atleast you are getting interviews....
    "High Salaries = Happiness = Project Success."

Talking

Some of the ways in which PL/SQL can be involved into the "application development" are basicaly:
    - Triggers,
    - Packages,
    - Procedures and
    - Functions.

I appreciate the answers from jlakhani and LKBrwn_DBA.
    I am familiar with - Triggers,
    - Packages,
    - Procedures and
    - Functions.

Does anyone else have experience using PL/SQL for development other than the ones mentioned above?

Hi Lisa,

You can use pl/sql in the following products also

Oracle Forms
    Oracle Reports
    Oracle Portal/web db

Regards,
    Santosh

By jlakhani:
    Dont be so negative. Take it as a challange for yourself. Atleast you are getting interviews....
    Yeah..

Good Luck..

We used it in my last project. The Java app would call the PL/SQL and get a cursor back. Not the best looking design/code, but it was done for performance.