DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: listener.log issues

Hello..

I am looking at my listener.log file that has spanned around 300mb. I have 5 instances on my box and it has data from last year.

I am not able to open the file completely due to size being too large. Most of the content over there is junk and I want to delete the file contents completely.

Alternatively I mv'd the file to a different name and created a new listener.log with a touch command. I was hoping that it will start writing to the new listener.log and I can delete the old file in 2-3 days time, but to my surprise it still writes to the renamed file and not the new one..

When I check the status of lsnrctl, I can see listener logfile as listener.log.

Please advise..

Thanks, ST2000

You must be on unix. You only changed the name of the file and the listener still has the inode open. You need to tell the listener to re-open the inode by stopping logging and then restarting it.
    lsnrctl set log_status off
    lsnrctl set log_status on

Once you have executed these two commands, the listener will start logging to the new listener.log file.

I do this daily. At midnight, I set log status off, mv the file to listener.log.`date +%y%m%d`
    set log status on. This way, you get a new listener.log every day and can "prune" how many ever days you wish.
    Jeff Hunter

Thanks a lot Jeff.. It worked perfectly and started logging to a new file as well.... and I can now delete the old file totally and start archiving from today onwards..

ST2000

just do cat /dev/null > listener.log if you want to empty it without deleting it assuming you can delete the contents