DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle will not start 8.1.7 8i

I can't get the database to start from within DBA Studio. The TNS listener seems to configured and responding OK, but when I try to open the database, it won't even get beyond starting. I did try just starting the database, and that won't work either. I made sure all the services are started...the local SYSTEM account is associated with all the services, and the SYSTEM account does have Full Control over the c:\oracle directory.

This db is at a client site which was working when I last left it back in May. However, at this site, they have security policies that repropogate to a server when it starts up, and this machine was off when I got there. So, they turned it on, and Oracle didn't work. So, that's why we're thinking that the security settings are what is causing the problem (since no other changes have been made to that box that anyone is aware of). Can anyone tell me how permissions need to be set to get Oracle to run?

I forgot to mention that this is running on a windows 2000 server.

You might check to make sure that the ORA_DBA group membership is still assigned to the Administrator account and any other account which might be used to start or open the database.

I had one client who promoted their Oracle database server as a BDC (Backup Domain Controller) - and this act caused quite a few security changes. Apparently local accounts/permissions no longer exist after this change is made. We had to demote the BDC, make permissions/role changes to the local accounts - then re-promote the server to become the BDC again in order to get remotely submitted OEM jobs to work.

David Simpson
    http://www.dotcomsolutionsinc.net

What about file and folder permissions? Does anyone know what Oracle needs on which folders?

Windows and Oracle - that's like wearing white after Labor Day. When will people learn? UNIX is so much better.