DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: CONTROLFILE

Hi All,

Oracle overwrites the controlfile records which exceeds the CONTROL_FILE_RECORD_KEEP_TIME init.ora parameter.

Assume that the controlfile is full, none of the controlfile records exceed the no. of days specified by this paramter and the o/s file limit has reached for the controlfile.

At this point if a few datafiles are added into the database, Oracle has to store this info in the controlfile, then oracle starts overwriting the controlfile records.

Now, if the previously created datafile location and other info are overwritten, How Oracle will identify this and open the database during the next startup?

Please correct me if my understanding is wrong

Cheers
    Najmal

Najmal,

There are two type of records stored in the controlfile. One is recyclable while the other can not be recycled or overwritten.
    The information such as datafile and logfile are not overwritten. Only recyclable records can be overwritten.

In your scenario I think Oracle will written some error that there is not enough space for controlfile to grow. Not sure though that Oracle has any such documented error.

Sanjay

Thanks Sanjay!