DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Best Backup / Recovery Strategy for 1-2 TB DB

Smile

Hi All,

Could you suggest the best backup & recovery strategy for a 1-2 TB Oracle 8i DB.
    Is it advisable to use offline or RMAN backup & recovery.
    Would it be advisable to have backup done weekly.
    How long does it take for a DB of that size.
    Is it advisable to take snapshots and any third party products that you can suggest for backup and recovery.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

It all depends on your environment. When to take the backup ? depends on how many days data you can afford to loose ?

Give us more details ...
    Thanks
    Kishore Kumar

Your backup & recovery stretegy for data warehousing depends on couple of factors: Out of 2 Tera Bytes

1) How much data is historic data
    2) How much data changes day to day
    3) Mean time to recover
    4) Hardware & Tools
    5) Data sources & Availability of Database

Bla..Bla..
    Reddy,Sam

Thank you guys for the replies. I will try to give whatever information available at this stage :

1. This is an OLTP environ for financial transactions. So around 3500 records are expected to be present in the beginning of production.

2. Expecting a change of data to the order of 500M

3. 15-20 minutes, hopefully.

4. Solaris 2.8 and Oracle 8i

5. Downtime of only 20-25 minutes during snapshots

Expecting to have a standby DB for the prod DB. Should each of the prod and Standby DBs have a Catalog DBs. Is it necessary to have a back up for the Catalog DBs too.

Appreciate your suggestions for the best backup and recovery strategy.

Expecting to have a standby DB for the prod DB. Should each of the prod and Standby DBs have a Catalog DBs. Is it necessary to have a back up for the Catalog DBs too.
    Backup PROD db: YES
    Backup STANDBY db : NO
    BACKUP CATALOG DB: YES

HTH
    Sanjay

Oh GOD! 1-2 Terabytes of OLTP environment. Probably you have work from different aspects specific to your environment. I don't know what kinda hardware configurations are in place for this kinda environment. How big is going to your redologs and whats the frequency of redolog generation. this much more important if you want have standby and limit your MTTR.

To be honest with you, I can't think of Managing 1-2 Terabytes of OLTP without perfect hardware configuration and tools. Whats the version of database ? OS ? Think of Shareplex/Logical standby too... as failover mechanism. Any specific reason for not going Clustered Environment ??
    Reddy,Sam