DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 11i DEV crashed

Please I need your help:

My 11i Development Instance running on windows 2000 server crashed yesterday due to operating system hardware failure. As a result, I am not able to logon to Oracle. The network guys have basically changed the particular hard drive and reinstalled windows. But the OSCI controller is not able to read Oracle from the other hard drives where Oracle files are residing.
    Has anyone experienced this situation? Do I have to reinstall Oracle? What about the data? We do not have any backup on this development instance yet. In fact it is a clone of the production.
    Your kind suggestion will be highly appreciated.

C. K.
    Apps DBA

Hi C.K,

Similar thing happened to me few months back on development server with 11.0.3. O.S got crashed. We lost all the NT Registry entries and NT services. But, we had all our Oracle software and datafiles intact and readable.

But, without NT registry entries and services, you can't execute and startup Oracle and applications.

What I did was creating NT Oracle registry entries manually by exporting and importing them from similar server. Modified SID name manually in registry.

I succeeded in doing this and now it is running perfectly well.

Hope you also could do the same thing in your case.

Best of luck.

Thanks,
    Sam
    ------------------------
    To handle yourself, use your head. To handle others, use your heart

Hi Samdba,

Thank you so much for this precious info. I have Oracle software and datafiles intact as well except the NT registry and services. I am going to follow your method. Please could you send me the steps?
    I really appreciate your help.

C. K.
    Apps DBA

Hi Samdba,

Since I didn't hear from you again, I am planning to reinstall Oracle Software and then clone the production database to Dev. My network guys can't figure out how to export the NT registry files and services from production to development.
    If you do, please post the steps. Even Oracle is suggesting reinstalling and cloning. But I wanted to check out your suggestion.

C. K.
    Oracle Apps DBA 11i

[Edited by cekeke on 07-16-2002 at 02:29 PM]

Hi C.K,

I am really sorry for not being able to respond to your query.

I was not buzy with other stuff and could not visit this forum for last few days.

There are no outlines steps with me. But it is very easy to export registry.

1. In the Windows registry of PROD, you go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> ORACLE. Here, you go to the Registry menu and click on Export Registry File. It will ask the file name in which it will export the registry values of ORACLE HOMES and Application.

2. Similarly, go to SYSTEM under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and go to CurrentControlSet and Services. In there, you will find Oracle Related services. You have to export each service individually in separate files.

3. Now, you are ready with export files. Go to your DEV server and import these files one each.

4. Modify imported registry values for DEV. Replace PROD with DEV everywhere and also other related regi. variables.

5. Re-Boot DEV machine and check that you have created services in the Control panel.

That is it.

Hope you could take some help from the above.

Thanks and again sorry for the delay.

Sam
    ------------------------

Hi Samdba,

Thank you very much for this vital info. I may have to try your method next time. The pressure was so much that I decided to reinstall Oracle and clone from Prod. It was quite unfortunate to do it that way, because all the Oracle files and Datafiles were intact except the Oracle services and Registry that was lost due reinstallation of the operating system.
    But anyway, I appreciate your help.

C. K.
    11i Applications DBA

Hi C. K,

Did your method of installing and cloning work? How much time it took?

Thanks,

Sam
    ------------------------

Hi Samdba,

Yes, it worked very well. It took about one day and half including some minor errors here and there. But I am up and running.

C. K.
    11i Applications DBA